Last reply 3 weeks ago
Avoiding the flu

I travel 3 weeks of the month for my job, so I usually spend 2 days a week on a plane. Any advice on avoiding sick germs? I just finished 4 days of Solu-Medrol infusions last week. My husband has the flu so I stayed with my brother’s family this weekend. I was just diagnosed with MS in January.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 weeks ago

dominics
3 weeks ago

#1 – get your flu jab as soon as possible every year.

Flying: It also depends on the airframe. The new 787 has incredible filtration, the notional cabin pressure is much lower and the air is far more humid.

It is a bit of an urban myth that aircraft are disease tubes. Most aircraft are pretty new and the cabin air filtration is of a v high standard.

The research literature in the aerospace engineering sector covers this topic in great detail. (most of my family were/are in the airlines)

One the flu has manifested itself in your husband the danger of infection has largely subsided.

Having had a very hard travel schedule in the early 2000’s when I knew I had MS the hardest thing was being v selfish about rest.

Best,

Dominic

cameron
3 weeks ago

I’ve read that hand gels are the key to avoiding infection on planes. Apparently, all the surfaces may be germ-laden, e.g. round your seat, washbasins and taps. I suppose the same might go for the airport, too.

rmdaniels
3 weeks ago

Thank you all for the excellent feedback! I’ll continue to choose the window seats & keep my hand sanitizer flowing. Interesting indeed that keeping the air blowing is another trick…one that is almost an automatic for me to help keep cool.
You guys are great!!!

rivka
3 weeks ago

@rmdaniels, consider packing a face mask in your purse. Then, when you get stuck next to a coughing seatmate with no skill sets of personal hygiene, you whip it out and quietly cover your mouth and nose.
😷ok, looks funny, but it does help.

rmdaniels
3 weeks ago

That’s a great idea @rivka. Wonder if the come in whimsical colors/designs, lol! Anything to help me look cheerful!!! 😜

rivka
3 weeks ago

@r Daniels What a grand idea, go for wild! Check this out.
https://ellessco.com/myair-mask

lukezni_1
3 weeks ago

Always carry hand sanitizer, it’s a must during flu season

lukezni_1
3 weeks ago

Also try not touching things with the inside of your hands too much for example pushing open a door I would clench my first to open, just trying to use as less of the inside of my hands as possible haha

grandma
3 weeks ago

@rmdaniels we’re very lucky in the uk with our (most of the time marvellous) NHS, those of us with a disease like ms, or old (like me) you get your flu jab for free, and our gp’s encourage usage but sadly only about 50% take up this yr. A few years ago we were advised not to have the vaccine cos it was ‘live’ so it’s worth checking every year but as a rule we’re ok and long may it continue😜🥊

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.