Last reply 1 year ago
Anyone returned to work?

I’ve been off work for nine months. They want to know if I am ready to go back on phased return. I don’t know. If I was just sat in an office doing one task at a time, I think I could do it, but my job is really busy dealing with lots of different people at the same time. They are talking about phased return and more breaks, but again, I don’t know. When I went in to talk to them this week it was so good to feel like me again, but I’m worried about stress and what it will do to my ESA if I start and then stop again, and what if I try but can’t do it but there’s no evidence except me feeling stressed and ill and so, so tired?

Has anyone done similar? Any advice? I’d rather not talk about the specifics of my job as I don’t want this post to be identifiable, iyswim.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@teal, it seems your employers are saying the right things, e.g. phased return, more breaks, etc.

But, you are recognising that this will fail if your stress levels aren’t controlled. So, it’s down to you to insist on a phased return that will work for you, possibly just starting with a couple of mornings or afternoons a week. Then, if you are managing OK, then you can increase your hours gradually over a period.

Also, bear in mind that reasonable changes can also involve extra assistance to ensure that your work stress levels are also managed.

I don’t blame you for not adding any detail that might identify you. You’re as anonymous as you want on the forum. You’re not Teresa May are you? Although, if you are, I’ve seen you working already! 😉

Anonymous
1 year ago

Ha! No, If I were TM a lot of things would be very different…

It’s really difficult genuinely not knowing, for example, no way could I work today. Fatigue really bad and sensory symptoms going into overdrive.

niccis
1 year ago

@teal Hi, your post really sounds like i was feeling a few weeks ago. I had two months off work and have just returned after Xmas. To complicate matters, I’ve gone to a new job in a new place rather than back to the old one, so I knew I was going to have to get to grips with new people and systems as well as just managing my condition. Hopefully it’s reassuring to hear that it has been absolutely fine. I’ve increased dosage of anti-fatigue meds and been really aware of not working myself too hard and looking after myself properly and so far, so good. If you feel some days that you’re well enough to work then going back is probably the best thing, as long as you stay focused on doing things the right way for YOU. Phased return sounds like a great idea as it will help to balance your fatigue. Is there a chance you could ask to reduce to part time hours if you find there’s a tipping point where it becomes too much? I hope it all goes well.x

Anonymous
1 year ago

Thanks @niccis I’ve had an entire weekend in bed and feel really I’ll and that’s just after the meeting about returning to work, so I think I have to bite the bullet and accept I have been deluding myself. Im not going to be able to go back, so I need to work out what happens now.

stumbler
1 year ago

@teal, it’s that time of year for feeling low.

So, don’t be so hard on yourself and give yourself a few more days. And, never say never…………. 😉

Anonymous
1 year ago

Maybe…

kanjalina
1 year ago

Hi all!

I hope you both manage to find a way of easing back into work with as little disruption as possible, Just remember that you are both doing such a wonderful job already of managing your health with its ever changing symptoms!!! 🙂

To make you both laugh….. I’ve been out of work approaching two years and I am PETRIFIED about returning!!!! No idea where to start, the only thing I know is it will have to be a part time role. I am struggling with what seems to be the simplest task such as a cover letter and updating my CV!!!!!!! Thanks MS for the mind games and self doubt 🙂

Onwards and upwards

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.