f3ng5hu1 10/07/12
Last reply 5 years ago
Any musicians here?

Just curious as to any that still play a bit if having an ok’ish day, ms aside.

Though I don’t play as often as i did a few years ago, I do enjoy still playing from time to time if i’m having a good day and it can be quite therapeutic if i’m in the right mood at the time.

So if you still play when you can or just if you used too, would be good to hear about it, your stories/influences that kind of thing and if you still like to jam it up once in a while.

Perhaps we could form a Neuromantic band!

Early influences for me were floyd, Hawkwind, Zeppelin, Little Feat, JJ Cale, Jools Holland, Little Feat, early Harry Connick Jr. Guitar I love Nick Drake and Jose Gonazalez, went through an Elvis phase too (mostly the drugs)still love his songs, i still rate him as one of the all time greats. For sheer wierdness and sonic excellence from festival days gone by, I love Ozric Tentacles (do you tube em if you’ve never heard of em, they’ve done tons of stuff and are still going strong).

Many many more but those are some that inspired me over the years.

Hope theres some muso peeps on here now or i’m gonna feel kinda dumb now lol!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

trace75
5 years ago

You are not alone as a magician sorry i mean musician!! I play (or played) mandolin and bodhran (irish drum) but let it slip when i started trying to renovate my house. Must get back into it as the mandolin is so compact you can just lie up on the couch and play away. We may have a different taste in music as i enjoy most music but favorite genre would be bluegrass, country and rockabilly (please don’t stop speaking to me!!lol).
Keep strumming
Trace

scotkiwi
5 years ago

Yup, piano & trombone, with guitar and a few others. I used to conduct orchestras too! Still plonk away on the piano when I can, and strum the guitar for fun. Not as fast as I used to be tho!

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

oops! forgot to add instruments to the above topic recipe o.O

I dabble Piano (real one, can’t stand plastic keys) and acoustic guitar, slightly biased favoring piano but love both equally really.

loulou
5 years ago

Rock on Trace!!!, Bluegrass, country and Rockabilly, EXACTLY my taste !!!!

F3NG Neuromantic …… that is just FAB that is HA !!!!

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

Loulou xD yeh, I was a teen in the 80’s, loved all that roxy music, Duran Duran type shiz=)

Cool trace, I likes bluegrass and for country it has to be Johnny Cash for me! Any other country music just doesn’t seem the same to me for some reason. Love Mr Cash’s stuff tho, timeless!

Scot! wowza! another keyboardist and strummer, we should jam sometime perhaps.

I tried trumpet when I was very young in scouts, since then I try to avoid wind instruments generally (I was awful at it!). My neighbour plays a mean Clarinet though, we sometimes jam, rare but fun as we’ve both usually downed some beers first.

DJDsouza
5 years ago

Learnt violin from 5, piano from 8, recorder at some age. saxophone from 16, taught myself guitar at 13 i think, though not very good, started DJing at 20, and got MS at 22 thus killing my musical career…. though i still DJ now but with MP3s instead 🙂

I like all kinds of music, but DJ mainly old school funk, soul, reggae, garage, funky house and real R’n’B not the commercial [email protected] that’s released nowadays.

I guess I could fulfil the P Diddy /Puff daddy role and manage the sound of the band and occasionally appear in videos 😉

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

Thats amazing! DJD your so talented! All that music learning, you must be a natural!

I love to DJ too, only been doing it about a year, I spin online on a virtual world thingy called ‘second life’. A whole online cyberworld of clubs, shops, gadgets, all sorts of places to go to, build or explore and meet new people. Very similar to the sims but instead of just watching computer characters everybody is real, kinda like a social networking site but you can actually walk about and go places with friends and see them as there virtual characters that they’ve created.

When I’m spinning the decks on there I stream the music to whatever club on the sim that i’m working in and then mix the tracks with software (VDJ). I used to do a few slots a week but only do the one regular now cos of the ms and clinics coming up and stuff. One session is usually 2 hours and I can always stand as cover if one of the other jocks doesn’t show for there scheduled slot which happens sometimes.

What software do you use and do you have a hardware controller rigged to your software like a CDJ or numark as well? (I haven’t got that yet but thinking about it).

I like house/electro/trance when spinning the decks, Guetta, Robbie Rivera, Nicky Romero, Afrojack, that kind of thing.

All good fun!

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

I’d heard about soundcloud for sharing audio so I just made an account.

Tested the first upload with a short but aforementioned jam me and the neighbour did one night after a good p**s up.

http://soundcloud.com/f3ng5hu1/clarinetpianojam

Seems a good site for sharing music/mixes and anything audio related.

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

Not sure re that link if you need to be signed in to soundcloud to listen to the track.

The sites new to me at the moment. I’ll suss it out.

justdave
5 years ago

I play acoustic guitar and (plastic) keys. I love my antique technics kn2000. My main instrument though, was drums. I played in a few bands through college etc, but haven’t played in a long time, though I’ve started to teach my son some rudimentary stuff. Believe it or not, we also have a mandolin and a bodhran in the house, but I can’t really play either!! Music I love: Nick Drake, Bright Eyes, Beatles, Billy Bragg, Tallest Man on Earth etc. so not very rock n roll really ;-S

Gingus
5 years ago

I play diatonic & chromatic harmonica mostly chromatic. Obviously favour blues although I listen to just about anything. I find playing helps me to be able to think more clearly when I’m tired for some reason, as if using that part of my brain takes a load off and stops the haze from decending!

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

@justdave cool, yeh Nick Drake was really unique with his tunings. Apparently he died of an amitriptyline overdose, he was only 26 but his music lives on, timeless.
I don’t mind synths sometimes but i prefer the acoustics and feel of a real piano. I still have an old Yamaha PSR 340 complete with floppy disk storage!

@Gingus, I find diatonic easier for blues, the trick is in the key of harp you pick for the song. If the song is in ‘D’ for example use a diatonic ‘G’ harmonica, for a blues song in ‘A’ then use ‘D’ diatonic, always relative 4th to the songs key signature or relative 5th in reverse (if i have a ‘G’ harp i know jamming blues to something in ‘D’ is gonna work) It makes for some nice pitch bends cos you can concentrate on the suck more knowing the notes gonna be there anyways cos it’s already in tune via the diatonic scale.

DJDsouza
5 years ago

@f3ng5hu1 thanks! I think I have a very mechanical talent for being able to play many instruments. Real talent is learning and mastering an instrument without tuition and being able to hear what’s happening.

Gingus
5 years ago

So when are we all putting the band together? Any one write songs?

tararo
5 years ago

I play the piano but not that often anymore 🙁 I just get so frustrated with myself!! I used to play the clarinet too, wish I went further with it at uni (ie before ms came along!)

rochelle28
5 years ago

I used to play drums. Not sure if the MS stopped me or kids. Was pretty cool to be in an all girl band if I say so myself 🙂 I write music all the time….none published. My dad is an author of poetry (books on amazon) so I must have his creative genes. My oldest wants to learn guitar I think she will be amazing 🙂

Grew up on good old Southern Rock (USA). My mom is friends with the Lynard Skynyrd crew. She was such a groupie = awesome 🙂

rochelle28
5 years ago

correction Lynyrd

Anonymous
5 years ago

I sing and play guitar. My recordings can be found on SoundCloud under the name Pale Allegory. Why not have a listen and see what you think? 😉

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

@bukowski I’ll check those out!

My name on sound cloud is the same as i use here, i’ve not put much on there yet though, just a Ronan Keating cover i did on piano and a cover of an old Jean Michel Jarre song.

highheeledfagin
5 years ago

Bit of guitar – though my tremor and pain have made that more difficult, I don’t think I was ever in danger of being a great guitarist anyway – but mostly singing. Was only ever in one band and occasionally jam with my mates but I’ve definitely let it slip out of my life more than I should.
In terms of influences, I was always a bit of a rock girl and a teen in the 90s, so Nirvana, Placebo, NIN, Muse, RHCP, both Buckleys, Blur…oh, there was fair amount of nu-metal, too.

Gingus
5 years ago

I’ll see if I can get some stuff onto youtube and post a link, now I’m not saying I can sing but I do ok on the harmonica and and I’ve written a few tunes, you never know it inspire some to have a bash at stuff. Happy Days!
P.S. I’m going to have to give sound cloud a looking at by the sound of things!

reddread
5 years ago

Glad to see some musicians on here =D

I am a musician as well, but in a different aspect than most. I am an Audio Engineer, so I use editing software to make my music. I make electronic music for the most part but I am went to school for the recording aspect, so I kind of have most areas covered in the music world.

I also recently started a job as a mobile DJ, so hopefully that pans out =D

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

@reddread That’s cool, I have some experience of sound engineering (i did a course on it many years ago when I was in a band).

I have tried electronic recording over the years with mixed success. I have ‘fruity loops’ on my system which is great with all the extras that come with it but it’s quite complex to use as a standalone multitrack. I used to use cool edit pro for recording but since that’s now owned by Adobe under a different name I don’t have that anymore.

Can you recommend a good piece of software for multitrack recording?

richi1990
5 years ago

I used to play diferent instruments. Guitar, Bass, Drums, n keyboards. Definitly guitar is my great one, but last year i had a relapse and my right hand went numb, i lost it almost completely. I had to go to theraphy and now is pretty good, but still not the same as before. I still play the guitar when i have time, its really therapeutic, i love music, it really makes feel good when i play 🙂

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

@Gingus yeh soundcloud is a good site for sharing recordings. I only discovered it recently myself but I like what I’ve seen so far.

@ricardo Yes music is a great outlet for emotions. It’s good to know your still enjoying it when you can.

Loads more feedback on here than I expected, seems shift has some serious talent onboard!

Anonymous
5 years ago

Glad you posted this fun topic, especially since it’s 4 am here and I’m still not sleeping. It is interesting to see all the different talents. I sing and am actually currently looking for a band that needs a female vocalist. Love the Indie stuff out there, but I sing it all. It is balm for the soul and is effective for use in my classroom. My students always respond positively to music. They do look at me like I’m crazy,though, when I play a little CCR (Creedence Clearwater Revival). I tell them they need to be well-rounded in their musical educations.

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

@heather If you do get a band together would love to hear it! Hope you gonna cover that classic CCR track ‘Proud Mary’, awesome stuff! 🙂

Anonymous
5 years ago

Oh yeah!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.