Last reply 17 hours ago
Anxious Passenger in a car

Hi
I know longer drive,but I am becoming a very nervous passenger ,when I am in a car I get very anxious I keep thinking the person is driving to fast this is becoming a big problem.
Has any body any advice or experience with this
Many thanks
Mary

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

highlander
2 weeks ago

@mary_devereux
I suffer from a similar problem, and its not the wife’s driving nobody else complains!
I close one eye, seems to work for me.
Worth a try😊

mary_devereux
2 weeks ago

Thanks will try

supermum1983
2 weeks ago

Maybe sit in the back maybe you might be less anxious

potter
2 weeks ago

If you can watch the speedometer and make sure they aren’t driving to fast, this may help. My husband does all of the driving now and he admits that he isn’t the best driver so we are a driving team. I help him park and tell him when a light is red or green, he tends to sit at a green light and run a red light when no one is around. He doesn’t speed anymore but doesn’t seem to notice things like a traffic jam ahead or street construction. He doesn’t get tickets or have accidents, I think we just have different driving styles. Potter

mamawals
1 week ago

I close my eyes when my husbands driving freaks me out. Maybe listen to an audiobook to distract yourself?

rivka
1 week ago

I don’t drive anymore either, and I have noticed the same problem. Maybe it’s that sense of loss of control while moving in space. So I try not to watch the road or the speed.

grandma
1 week ago

As @rivka says, if you’ve been a driver, being in charge of speed, brakes, etc., you are bound to feel, to a certain extent , that the person now in charge of the car is driving too fast, not breaking early enough, everything, but try what @supermum suggested and try sitting in the back, looking out the side window, anything that means you don’t look at the speedo, don’t see how close the car is in front if you is😜

rogersouthall
1 week ago

Mary, catch a bus !!! seriously, does anyone have a clue as MS really takes people to different extremes, you never think that life can change so quickly, emotions, state of mind and general well being is all under MSs control, I wish you well and I am sure it will settle down soon
http://www.wholesorts.com is my monthly blog

iris
1 week ago

Maybe it’s not m s here but normal “other driver anxiety”? Whatever. Our family call my Husband “mr. i thought”! Examples ;- 1] driving in Corfu i navigate. Told him how to negotiate but insisted on going in different direction which i insisted was a one way. He went still. Nearly accident and other driver shouting at him ” but i honestly thought etc!!!. 2] after theatre 11pm. roadworks and road closures. Clear signs including no entry. He went still passing 2 no entry signed roads too, Finally we reached barriers blocking off the sewer works. Then he found he had to back up! I’m screaming! Said nothing here !!!??? I worry about this knowing that it will do me no good. Compromise…. stopped driving at night and no longer hire cars!

mary_devereux
1 week ago

Thanks every one I appreciate the replys I think the back seat it will have to be you would never think I have come from a high powered job to a gibbering wreck .

highlander
1 week ago

@mary_devereux
😂 have the driver wear a hat and have an umbrella ready if it’s to sunny or raining…Do it with style😃

mary_devereux
17 hours ago

Thanks all i have been sitting in the back behind the driver trying to look out the window its working most of the time .
Rome wasn’t built in a day hard to undo 30 plus years of driving will keep trying.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.