Last reply 3 years ago
ANXIETY TOHAVE TO WALK

I’m sure some people suffer this but I have gotten worse, Was going to go for a part time job test and just the thought of having to walk across the street to office, whats going thru my head is ‘its warm today’ my MS is worse and heat affects me what if and properly will happen I get too weak to walk with my crutch to the office and there is a walk around to show the office.

I then decided to not go I was stressing out too much. This has happened to me twice. Its like I have two voices in my head, one saying ‘I can do it’ the other saying ‘you are going to struggle to walk and just get more and more fatigued’. which is the more likely to happen because when I listen to the 1st voice I end up being what the 2nd voice says.

Just sucks.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

I can relate to your experience. Every time I need to go out, the weight that my legs seem to carry increases. it’s just not logical, yet it happens.

See if there’s something here to help:-

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-ms/signs-and-symptoms/mental-health/stress-and-anxiety

cameron
3 years ago

Mind-body tricks are totally convincing. The thought of the heat or perhaps the whole question of whether or not you should work? I don’t know a way round it, but I do know that these thoughts come more often when I spend too much time alone and/or don’t get enough diverting activities. Remember the old saying, ‘The devil finds work for idle hands to do’? Well, for me it’s a devil in my head, stopping me from thinking straight and putting in unwelcome ideas. Are you keeping busy enough? Big hugs xx

lorag
3 years ago

I find motivation has gone. I plan things all the time but just don’t do it. I think it’s time to accept it and try and find work I can do at home. I sometimes have this when I am invited to social activities I have dreams about how to get there and what it’ll be like getting around. I suppose its just something I have to deal with.
I do want to try and beat the anxiety tho it’s just annoying.

Thanks for the link stumbler. Thanks for the hug Cameron.

I’m the same @lorag , avoid any situations now where i have to walk…or other people might see me walking. Seems to me now that at home or work is my comfort zone where i feel the easiest walking. If i have to go out anywhere my walking goes down hill and as @stumbler said my legs get heavier, balance worse etc!!. I have frozen once, completely paralysed by panic!!

I’ve been trying CBT for a bit. Seems to help a little but the counsellor was not really hot on MS….more general!

Basically you’re not alone, it’s something we have to deal with and try to adapt……i find it scary though don’t you?

lorag
3 years ago

I freeze a lot most of time is when have to step down a curb which most of the time is not high BUT I just think of my foot rolling when I step down. The worst was when I became weaker when walking out of a shop and had to walk down a ramp I froze and I just went to sit down on a seat and couldn’t walk down until 10-15 mins later. Its scary that I have become like this more, I tried counseling too it help a bit I think the best that has helped me is my physio when I asked her what is the best way to step off a curb she showed me using two crutches is easier. And it is just another device I need now.

Glad to know I am not alone.

cameron
3 years ago

@lorag – have you tried Functional Electrical Stimulation? Or leg splints? Both these have made a significant difference to my drop foot and walking generally. I used FES for years but was pointed in the direction of splints and it’s been excellent. My splint is carbon steel, weightless and gives a lovely support to the back of the calf. Just a thought. xx

lorag
3 years ago

Yes I have a splint it helps but when my leg is really weak it doesn’t help.

stumbler
3 years ago

I know how you mean, @lorag , splints just don’t stop the knee buckling…….

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.