Last reply 3 weeks ago
Another one bites the dust…

Got a message today.

A very, very good friend died. He was diagnosed with lung cancer plus stomach cancer a few weeks ago. Now I have to drive 1,500 kilometers to attend his funeral; which I will… I could fly but I prefer to drive since that gives me time to reminisce about “the good times with him” while listening to the stereo. And if his wife likes – I would be honored to speak at the service.

Losing my first wife to Scleroderma more than 24 years ago put things into perspective for me. My recent MS diagnosis did not upset me; it just explained why my body had new limitations.

Don’t get me wrong, Ron was a good man & I was lucky to have him in my life. But life is a journey & we all have the same destination. He just beat me to the finish line…

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

annie13
4 weeks ago

@edmontonalberta
Sorry for your loss

stumbler
3 weeks ago

@edmontonalberta , my condolences. Take care when you do that drive.

edmontonalberta
3 weeks ago

The funeral home was packed; actually overflowing. As I was sitting there waiting for the service to start, my friend’s wife came out of the Family Room & called me over – asked me if I would be willing to speak. Less than 10 minutes notice…

The good news is that I had been thinking about the times Ron & I shared – during my two day drive. And I have had lots of public speaking experience; so I was not nervous standing in front of 200+ people.

Ron would have been impressed; actually – he always was about me during our 45 year relationship! As I & many others were about him!

https://passages.winnipegfreepress.com/passage-details/id-259995/IRVING_RONALD

vixen
3 weeks ago

@edmontonalberta, sorry for your friend’s loss, but great that you were able to give an impromptu speech; heartfelt and perfectly fitting. Bask in the fabulous memories of friendship……x

stumbler
3 weeks ago

@edmontonalberta , 200+, that was some turn-out. He must have been widely well-respected and a good friend to many.

It must have been a great comfort to his family.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.