mo-jo 29/03/17
Last reply 10 months ago
Annual leave advice

Hi guys I was off work for a while and when I went back the annual leave sheets had already been put out. I was advised that I wasn’t able to get even one week off until end of Aug. I am a staff nurse working in a busy ward. I think I am being penalised for being off. Should I contact the union rep. Hubby is mad as we live in Scotland and schools go back in Aug.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

hels99
10 months ago

I’d suggest you do contact them for advice in the first place. Apart from anything else, you need regular breaks to stay well with MS. However, I’d think hard before going down any formal grievance route as this would be very stressful for you. Is your manager aware of your MS and are you able to have a conversation about this before doing anything formally?

mo-jo
10 months ago

Yeah ward manager is aware of my MS. I gave sent union rep a text, so I will see what he says.
Thanks. I had to laugh yesterday as deputy charge nurse, said “you only work 2 days, surely you can wait till end of Aug” lol

stumbler
10 months ago

@mo-jo , I can understand how this has happened. I believe that the shifts are now allocated by a computer system, NHS Employee Online. This system has allowed the devolution of responsibility to managing shift allocation, so any mistakes/oversights are due to a “computer fault”!

This inconsideration would potentially push the legality of the situation vis-a-vis the Equalities Act 2010.

It is wise to seek the advice of the union, but then see if you can resolve the issue on “friendly” terms……..

mo-jo
10 months ago

All advice much appreciated. Many thanks

krys
10 months ago

Hi ,
Have you tried your occupational health department for support. It could be one of your reasonable adjustments that you have flexibility regarding your annual leave. My OHD were very good and listen to my issues and documented this. My manager was then told what support I needed. Just a thought. Good luck.

krys
10 months ago

By the way , I would have told my deputy ward manager as I only work ‘2 days’ it shouldnt be difficult for you to cover the off duty for my annual leave then. 😆😆

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.