Last reply 3 years ago
And now I have a 'collapsing leg'

Not sure if this is part of yet another relapse, but today my left knee has randomly decided to stop actually holding my body off the floor, it’s like all of a sudden the muscles forgot to keep the leg locked and it falls away from under me.
There’s no pain at all (since my legs are completely numb this is normal) and it’s a shock to suddenly try to readjust my body to not face plant on the floor but I’m actually considering breaking out my trusty folding walking stick until this goes away.

Anyone experienced this as part of relapses / on-going symptoms please ?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@tracyd , now I have a knee that will occasionally give way under me. I’ve managed to steady myself each time.

Is this the kind of thing?

tracyd
3 years ago

@stumbler possibly, it’s worse today but for the last few days randomly my left knee just seems to fall out from under me, like it just disappeared, as soon as it happens and I’m focused on it I have it back under control (kind of – until the next time)

Most annoying, but not painful when it happens, very disconcerting though

stumbler
3 years ago

@tracyd , I think we are talking the same thing. In my case, I know my legs are weak – well, they’re not, but try telling my brain that!

It only happens occasionally, but it is a bit of an unpleasant shock.

I don’t see it as a permanent problem.

adam1407
3 years ago

I too have this – I furniture walk in the house and use my stick outside; might be worth speaking to your physio/nurse/consultant.

Has a type been diagnosed? I have SPMS, so just accept it as a normal progressive symptom and don’t get stressed about it – just try to either let myself down slowly with my arms, or fall on something soft!

spuddie007
3 years ago

I have the same issue since my relapse in September last year. No warning given but all of a sudden my right knee gives way and I get massive shooting pains.

The same knee also doesn’t feel right if I walk too far or stand for too long. My job means I am at public trade fairs but luckily work have been supportive in not allowing me to be there for long hours and getting breaks.

It also gets worse when I’m tired. All part of my learning curve. I got myself a walking stick which I take out with me if know I may be walking for more than a few hundred metres.

Anonymous
3 years ago

You should seriously consider fampyra if possible. I would hope that you would be helped by its effectiveness if you are one of the patients that respond to it. There is plenty of discussion about it throughout the blog. It has helped me greatly. If I miss a dose I will develop foot drop soon during my walks and reduces my balance and overall strength. It works relatively quickly, so you do not have to continue a drug for long for a chance at some subtle improvement. It was obvious and quick for me like many other symptom management drugs, not to be confused with a DMT.

Anonymous
3 years ago

Crikey @tracyd you are being put through the mill! Sooner you start treatment the better x

Anonymous
3 years ago

Crikey!! I agree! 🙂

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.