finchy 25/01/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Ambulance Blues

Dear colleagues

I have just posted today on my blog http://www.whatmsmi.com on the subject of ambulance waiting …in the hope of receiving comments and shared experiences on this subject.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
3 years ago

@finchy , I read that monologue and sympathise with you.

I remember when I got discharged from the hospital that I had been in since arriving back at Gatwick from holiday with an infection, which had floored me.

I was discharged from the ward in mid-morning after about 8 days, having confirmed that I could walk short distances with a rollator and manage a couple of stairs. The only problem was that I couldn’t be picked up until after 18:00!

And I was deposited in the “departure lounge” with a potential wait of 7 hours + to get 35 miles home!

I sympathise with the stress that this must have caused, but I had other options. A quick negotiation with a local taxi firm and I managed to get quickly home at a rate of just over £1 a mile.

I just wanted to get home, but like I say, I had options.

But, your situation is just one of those facts of life. The hospital needs to clear the beds as soon as they can, but the support to do this isn’t sufficient. It’s almost a case of the absence of joined up thinking, but is it.

It’s just a logistical conundrum, where a lot of resource seems to be needed in the first part of the day. If that resource was available to meet demand at this time, the resource would potentially be standing redundant throughout the afternoon.

And, the demands of today decree that all resource is fully utilised to get value for money!

Like I say, a conundrum…… 😉

finchy
3 years ago

A very measured assessment of the situation Stumbler. Thanks for your comments. I am not convinced that the ‘lean management’ model being used to optimise resources in ambulance usage is considering the wider impact. Perhaps this is the effect of outsourcing?

stumbler
3 years ago

That’s the NHS for you. Stuffed full of managers, but lacking management! lol 😆

reddivine
3 years ago

I’m afraid its not only wheelchair patients. as Jman will tell you kidney patients are amongst the fed-up ppl waiting for hospital transport. Interminable waits, after having spent 4-6 hours dialysing already. And thats 3 times a week every week.
I mean if you can afford a taxi, you would take it. But not all can drive and not all can afford taxi fares on such regular basis.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.