Last reply 5 years ago
Amantadine

Anyone else take Amantadine for fatigue? If so, what do you think of it? Been taking 100mg for about 3 weeks, but apart from in the first few days, I’ve not felt any difference. Docs will up the dose to 200mg in a week or so, so hope that’ll help. Any thoughts?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

Not tried it. I have heard that Modafinil is meant to be good for relieving fatigue. Might be worth a try.

karynb
5 years ago

Tried it a while back. Made no difference what-so-ever to my fatigue, but made my mouth so dry it nearly drove me crazy! Hope you have better results than I did:)

stumbler
5 years ago

As I understand it, Amantadine would ease mental fatigue. As has been said, Modafinil is another option.
Now, Fampyra/Fampridine may be a better option as this is supposed to improve your walking capabilities, as well.
However, Fampyra/Fampridine is the “new kid on the block” so it may not be that accessible. 🙁

mererid
5 years ago

Thanks all for your advice. I’ve tried Modafinil and it didn’t suit, I’m afraid. I’ll look into Fampyra.

bell
5 years ago

Hi Mererid, I’ve been on Amantadine for about 10 months now (200 mgs a day). It’s ok, not a miracle cure, but I find it does help with mental alertness somewhat. If I forget to take it I do notice the difference mid morning at work. Famprya looks promising though for balance and walking – it depends on your needs. Good luck with it

highheeledfagin
5 years ago

They tried me on amantadine for just less than a year because, I believe, it’s cheaper than Modafinil, but it didn’t work for me. I felt close to vomiting every day and my mouth was very dry and foul tasting. I probably wouldn’t have minded if it helped with the fatigue, but it really didn’t. Now I’m on Modafinil and, though the problem isn’t entirely fixed, I’m much better than I used to be…except in winter when my body goes nuts.

paulelcock
5 years ago

forget the amantadine! A COUPLE OF DOUBLE EXPRESSO EACH DAY WORKS JUST AS WELL AND ITS FAR MORE ENJOYABLE!

stumbler
5 years ago

Nice idea, Paul. But, unfortunately, caffeine causes all manner of issues if you have bladder incontinence problems. 🙁

mererid
5 years ago

Thanks all! Coffee seems to have lost its effect on me too! I drink strong filter coffee to get going in the morning and a couple more if I’m working in the evening. Yesterday, I had a double espresso in a cafe, and went home to sleep right after! I’m really disappointed with the Amantadine – I had high hopes. It’s the mental fatigue that gets me before the physical – that overwhelming need to sleep all the time. If I’ve been working too hard, then it turns into physical pain. I wish there was something that could make you feel like you’re fresh, alert and not sleepy, instead of depending on stimulants that make you feel tired but wired.

dave-c
5 years ago

I’ve just started on it and some days it seems to do it’s job fine, but other days it just makes me tired. The drug im taking for fatigue sometimes makes me tired! Go figure.

paulelcock
5 years ago

I agree, the number of drugs that are meant to help often have little effect long term and make you feel tired , what a bummer!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.