Last reply 12 months ago
Alcoholism in MS

I’m going to be straight up. I’m a 32 year old man and have been trying to deal with this disease for about 12 years, I was on some different DMDs and I found myself just keeping getting worse. I have been off all drugs for 6 years. I got diagnosed when I was working in a pub, I still am. I normally have about 3 beers a day on a slow day. I seem to rely on that daily dose of alcohol to try and subdue my tremors. I was wondering if anyone else is trapped in a similar routine, or if I’m secretly just an alcoholic?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

naomih
1 year ago

Hi. My names Naomi and I’m an alcoholic!! Actually I’m not!! Sometimes I drink to hide my feelings, sometimes I drink so that my head can go into denial and often I pretend to drink to hide my Ms! my ex husband still accuses me of secretly drinking through our marriage (I didn’t). So no, your not alone. I find people can deal with the idea that I fell over or walked into something easier if they believe I’m on one, than trying to deal with MY Ms issues. I cant comment to your situation, however alcohol has always been an issue, even when I stopped drinking!. phew..I’m not the only one. ?

andeedahlen
1 year ago

It’s nice to know that there is other people who know what I’m talking about. I’ve never posted anything about my life before, I was just trying to paint and the tremors were so bad that I needed to have a beer, surprisingly my tremors have calmed down.

naomih
1 year ago

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I started decorating my hallway and 2 weeks into it I booked a decorator! I’m not a helpless person! I moved on my own when I was 16, have probably got more decorating experience than the person I’m paying!! I kept telling the doctors j had Ms as a teenager and got fobbed off. I was told my double vision was due to my lifestyle!! (crazy, ftucked up teenager stuff). It’s ludicrous, thinking back!! I’m not trying to normalise the drinking, I’m just saying I get exactly where you are coming from.❤

gates1989
1 year ago

I’m Cedelle and I’m an alcoholic!! (Again, I’m not!) but yes, alcohol bloody helps! Even if it’s just for those few hours before I go to bed on a bad day when I’m feeling sorry for myself or I feel like I’m all alone! Plus, I then have something to blame my horrendous walking on! You are not alone, alcohol helps relax the muscles in my legs too which is very helpful! Most members of my family would say I drink too much, I say “walk in my shoes, then you can judge me!”

naomih
1 year ago

Or more accurately. “Wobble in my (stupidly flat) shoes” ?

anettauk
1 year ago

Just like Naomih and Cedelle I’m (not) an alcoholic… I would have 2 glasses of wine every evening before I go to bed. It works wonders for me 😉

tracyd
1 year ago

My name is Tracy and I’m …. actually I’m not depsite the fact that I love my wine and talk about it a lot 🙂

What I am is a greedy drinker – if I’m at home or out and drinking then I will probably have more than I should rather than a couple and leave it be which I really don’t like – I’d rather be the designated driver and not have anything than face feeling crappy the next day.

I spent a long time drinking more than I should to deal with the loss of my family one after the other and somewhere between losing mum and my younger brother I was diagnosed with MS. I would drink because I was sad, I would celebrate with a drink because I was happy and then I introduced commiserating because MS is a bag of sh*t to that cycle. It was a habit I would regularly break with dry times so I could assess the ‘normal’

I’m doing dry january and it’s okay – slimming world and cutting down the smokes at the same time is making life ‘interesting’ but I’ve not been arrested or locke dup for my own safety yet so that’s a good thing – right ? 🙂

I think that if a person is questioning if what they are having is ‘too much’ or have a ‘problem’ then it would seem that the person is anreadyt uncomfortanle with the amount they drink and some steps to cut down are the right thing to do. I wouldn’t necessarily call that alcoholism or assume the person an alcoholic but I think uncomfortable (not comfortably numb) with the amount a person is drinking is the answer as well as the question xxx

potter
1 year ago

After I started Rebif wine tasted awful to me so I quit drinking wine. When I quit Rebif and started on Tecfidera wine tasted better but not the same. I rarely drink beer anymore, the only drinks I enjoy anymore is something like a small Mud Slide. I probably wouldn’t even keep any alcohol in the house but my husband enjoys a drink after work. Potter

gates1989
1 year ago

How refreshing to be able to have an open and honest conversation about how much we all drink ? and yesNaomi, my stupidly flat shoes ?

mammamoose
1 year ago

I think sometimes a drink can definitely help with pain. I like the odd glug of brandy or Southern Comfort in coffee or hot chocolate. I don’t drink much these days because as I no longer go out like I used to and I also decided I didn’t like hangovers I also got to not enjoying the taste very much which could be down to MS or medication as someone else said above. Now my tolerance to alcohol seems to have decreased somewhat so I am a cheap date!

potter
1 year ago

I think it is the MS medication that makes the taste change, when I was on my wash out period between medications wine tasted good. I also have a lower tolerance for alcohol now, maybe they should just treat alcoholics with MS drugs. Potter

nrl321
1 year ago

@potter I had a friend on Facebook who was using Baclofen as part of his treatment being Alcoholic! I told him I once used that drug to manage symptoms of MS and funny enough I stopped drinking alcohol at that time? And I bloody loved a BIG social drink ?

Anonymous
1 year ago

A strong gin definitely calms my sensory symptoms more effectively than anything else. Unfortunately, two strong gins makes me feel ill and drinking any amount more than two or three times a week gives me a serious headache.

naomih
1 year ago

I have decided to give up wine…I am going to explore other options!! Tonight I am finishing off the Christmas gin!! (in a wine glass, everything still tastes better from a wine glass). ? ? ? ?

ripley
1 year ago

Hi, I’m exactly with tracyd on the greedy drinker aspect and I was always out on the town or in the pub having a laugh. I’ll always love a drink and so what if we do. I’m being good at the moment cause I want my energy to improve and I’m giving up smoking so I darnt touch a drink for fear of having a fag ( which I love so dearly! ). I’m only giving up smoking cause it’s getting hard to catch my breath otherwise I’d be puffing away. Sometimes a drink helps sometimes it doesn’t, you know yourself which is which. I couldn’t drink everyday even if I wanted to, my body wouldn’t let me. I think from your feedback it’s pretty clear, I think with our daily struggles a drink is well deserved , for me I still think I’m able for a shitload when I do have a drink, that’s still a work in progress! ??

xeno
1 year ago

Hi new here,
Alcohol works for me too 🙂 tried a few so called wonder drugs which did nothing except make me feel worse.
I have the advantage of cheap wine as I make it myself as a hobby.
A glass or two or a nice single malt long certainly takes the edge off my symptoms During those long miserable times.
Wonder if I can single malts on prescription ? ?

thingy003
1 year ago

I’m currently off the booze and have been since the start of the year. Not because I am an alcoholic and I drink too much although I certainly do have those tendencies at times. I have had zero energy since Christmas and have been fighting off one cold after another which has all stopped me from hitting the gym (which is where I go to meditate, by meditate I mean lift big lumps of iron in an effort to convince myself that I am not ill)

When I do drink I am a rum or bourbon man or some of the nice IPAs that have hit the market over the last few years. In the summer you can usually find me out in the garden by the BBQ with an ever growing pile of empties by my feet.

meprudie
1 year ago

I wish I could get off the booze. I get to 3pm and it doesn’t matter if I have been at work that day or not – all I can think about is having a glass of wine – and it usually ends up at half to 3/4 of a bottle. MS was first suggested to me as a possible problem for my blurred vision 2 years ago. Diagnosis of MS a month ago, despite the lesions not being in the right places or the ocligonal bands – but at least I can tell my work (teacher) there is a reason for my fatigue, forgetting students names, stumbling – which lets face it started years and years ago.
I want to stop drinking but I live in a small town, to go to an AA meeting would mean possibly meeting parents or people associated with the school. Can’t really afford to not stop – I need to go part time as soon as possible as I just can’t function in the classroom anymore (meaning I have no energy anymore to correct papers after hours, write reports, or answer student emails after work anymore).
My financial security is screwed, no claim can be made on relapsing remitting MS for income protection. My husband and I barely talk anymore. Everything is stuffed because I have no energy to do anything. Drinking is a much needed relief.

markp
12 months ago

My Guinness love affair is the only thing that keeps me sane. It affords me moments where I can forget the hardships the MS bestows upon me as the alcohol glow loosens me back-up!

stumbler
12 months ago

Hi @meprudie and welcome. I’ve been contemplating answering your post for most of the day.

Primarily, your drinking may not be considered to be totally excessive. It’s not like you start off drinking at breakfast. But, it seems you do have a need for a drink and you should consider the underlying cause for this need.

Considering your marital issues and your financial security, these are all contributing to a huge amount of stress in your life. And, stress is seen to be as a major contributory to the progression of MS.

So, rather than contemplating and discounting AA, would there be any mileage in looking at marriage counselling. If you could re-establish your connection with your husband, your financial security may be improved, the drinking may not be needed and you could reduce the amount of stress in your life. This in turn would help you manage your MS and may improve how your symptoms affect work.

These are just my suggestions, having little knowledge of the full extent of your issues.

The bottom line regarding your drinking is that you have identified the problem, so you’re halfway towards resolving it. 😉

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.