Last reply 2 weeks ago
Advice – Lemtrada and pregnancy

Hello, I’m wondering if anyone has advice on the topic of pregnancy and Lemtrada.
I am scheduled to have my first round of lemtrada next month but I am starting to stress out because I was hoping to become pregnant after four months of my first round of lemtrada. I have a daughter who will be about 15 months and I was hoping to expand our family in 20/20 so my children could be close in age.
I’m just trying to decide and i’m looking for advice. Is there anyone who has had a baby in between the first and second round of lemtrada.
Thank you!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 month ago

@ashley123 , well, the Lemtrada should be out of your system by 4 months post treatment, so conception could be safely attempted.

It could well mean a delay to round 2, which would have to be managed.

ashley123
1 month ago

@stumbler thank you for your input!

rayrayjean
1 month ago

I am newly diagnosed, but trying to conceive. I was told the only treatment safe while knowingly trying to conceive and while pregnant was copaxone. If it leaves your system after 4 months than I would assume it is safe if not repeated. Did you ask your OBGYN?

dominics
1 month ago

@ashley123 – I was in Vancouver 2 days ago – fwiw 🙂

Lemtrada (Alemtuzumab), though being a highly efficacious treatment, has just had some additional safety warnings applied to it in the UK.

I am not a medic. The cautions don’t seem to apply to teratogenicity. However, a pretty vital topic.

As it is so efficacious, it is also very powerful and conception is something – I can’t stress this enough – that should be discussed with your neurologist, at some length if necessary.

You not only want to attempt conception when you are absolutely sure that the drug is fully cleared from your system but also that any residual effects do not stand to harm you or the foetus.

I am pretty certain that the neurologist will want to discuss this with you too to ensure that both they and you are fully aware and suitable advice may be given.

Good luck. Let us know what they say.

ashley123
1 month ago

@dominics thank you, I plan on discussing it with my doctor, just looking for feedback from anyone that has been in the situation! Thank you for thoughts : )

kellydlugosz
2 weeks ago

i just finished my lemtrada last week. i have 2 kids and my husband and i are still potentially discussing a 3rd. my neurologist suggested waiting until after the 2nd round of lemtrada after the 4 months have past from infusion.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.