Last reply 3 weeks ago
acupuncture?

Has anybody had relief from pain or spasticity with acupuncture? Similarly massage? Am joining Leeds MS group to hopefully get more info on management of my MS, but, this forum offers a worldwide information bank…….

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 weeks ago

@nobodyin , there have been various posts on both these holistic treatments. Use the Forum Search function (magnifying glass, top left) to locate them.

As we’re all different, it’s worthwhile giving these treatments a go to see whether you receive any benefit.

nobodyin
3 weeks ago

Thanks.

cameron
3 weeks ago

It definitely worked for me but it wasn’t directly ms-related. I was slowly recovering from a broken arm and had five sessions of acupuncture within a week in the spa of a cruise ship. At the beginning of the week I was wearing a sling and had zero power in the arm. Six days later, I could weight-bear and once back on dry land was able to drive. I reckon it gave me around a month’s healing. My therapist was a European GP who had spent five years in China studying and was fully qualified in Traditional Chinese Medicine. According to him, acupuncture is ‘two-speed’ – in Europe, it’s practised mainly for pain relief and the qualification is relatively easily obtained. Training for TCM – of which acupuncture is just one element – takes years and practitioners get impressive results with many conditions (well he would say that, wouldn’t he……) A pal who has had treatment from a TCM acupuncturist says it has greatly helped her tinnitus. I would personally doubt it would directly improve neurological symptoms, but why not try it?

funnybank
3 weeks ago

I have regular shiatsu treatment. It is a form of acupressure. It helps me recover from spasticity episodes like the ms hug. My practioner helps me by relieving pain when stretching and relaxing muscles in spasm to regain some motor use of hands. She also claims to be treating my nervous system but I have no idea if this works. It keeps me sane.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.