jadeshelley 28/06/18
Last reply 6 days ago
About to start Copaxone!

Hi guys! Not been on for a few weeks been a mad couple of weeks. I’m due to start my first treatment of Copaxone in a few weeks. It has been delayed to my body having a bad reaction to the carbamazepine I had been prescribed for my lhermittes. Full body rash, really bad fever, temperature and vomiting for 6 days straight. Over the worst now but my bloods are all abnormal including my liver enzymes. So hopefully after my re test on the 9th my bloods will be back to normal for me to be able to start the Copaxone. Anxiety is kicking in due to having to inject myself 3 Times a week. Can anyone offer any advice to this? Does it hurt? I’m not looking forward to side effects and praying I’m not affected as much as some users are. What are everyone’s experiences with the side effects of Copaxone?
Thank you x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

bonang1975
2 weeks ago

I was on it for about 3 years my biggest side effect was headaches so i was living on painkillers but everyone is different. Best of luck 👍

look
2 weeks ago

Sorry to hear of your horrible side effects from the drug you’ve been taking for L’Hermittes – sounds awful. I was on Copaxone for six years in the UK and US and a good thing was you didn’t have to have blood tests for liver function etc. what really helps you is to inject using the autoject pen -try not to worry too much; once you’ve done one injection it won’t feel so overwhelming I’m sure. You just have to keep an eye on the injection sites. Good luck with it all.
Loo-K

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@jadeshelley , wow! Carbamazepine for L’Hermittes! That’s a bit hardcore. You must have had it bad, as you can normally control it by not looking down too far!

Let’s hope your bloods settle so that you can start the Copaxone before the anxiety creates too big a hurdle.

You shouldn’t worry too much about the injections. The thought of injecting is usually a lot worse than the injection itself. However, injection site reactions can be a bit of a problem, so disciplined rotation of injection sites is key.

There are various strategies used to manage the injection process. You can just click on the “Copaxone” tag, at the bottom of your post above, to access all the previous posts on this drug.

Good luck. 😉

jadeshelley
2 weeks ago

Thank you. And no my lhermittes doesn’t even bother me! My neuro didn’t ask me if I wanted any medication for it he just gave it me…. :/ I’m off it now due to the reaction and I’ve said I don’t need any other meds for it because it doesn’t bother me. X

smalltownpa
2 weeks ago

Good luck with the copaxone! I was on the 20 mg for over 10 hrs. Did excellent. The injection hurts some but doesn’t last long. Then they started me on the 40 mg which sounds like what you will be on. Hate to say it but awful side effects. Not at all like the 20. But according to my neuro, I am an exception. As far as his patients go. But why I am even telling you this is not to discourage you, but if you have similar problems with the 40, don’t hesitate to try the 20. I had multiple problems before and they have all been resolved. Can walk well again, motor skills came back, feel great. And that is what this is all about. To stop progression in its tracks. And the 20 mg copaxone is doing that. The autoject is simple. Easy to use. Just keep picking different sites. Keep track of them and don’t repeat for a wk. you will be fine!!!

smalltownpa
2 weeks ago

Oops meant 10 years.

hope33
2 weeks ago

Hi I have been on Copaxone for 2 and a half years with no side effects. I manually inject because I heard that autoinjecting can cause site reactions, itching, bumps and dips in the skin where fat is affected. Manually injecting doesn’t hurt. The needle is very thin and short. I inject just before I go to bed on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It takes about 5mins or less. I don’t use an ice pack but keep my injections out of the fridge for the week I will be using them so that they are at room temperature. There can be a light sting a few mins after injecting but that quickly disappears. Vaseline with aloe vera helps with any slight itching you may get in the first few days. All the best.

pikilily
2 weeks ago

Lol @smalltownpa.,. Was going to say that must be a record…:-)

shadowfox
2 weeks ago

Just wanted to stop by and say hey as I contacted my MS Nurse today to say I wanted to start on the 3x a week Copaxone so should be starting soon too! 🙂

jadeshelley
2 weeks ago

Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I guess I just have to wait and see don’t I as everyone is different and will respond different I suppose. I have anxiety anyways so waiting for something to happen kills me off haha. @shadowfox looks like we will go through this journey together then haha x

shadowfox
6 days ago

@jadeshelley Copaxone buddies lol! Have you got your date to learn how to do it from your MS Nurse yet? My appointment isn’t until 23rd July. Eager to get started tbh but not sure what to expect with it. All I want is to not feel tired and weak all the time! If it manages that I’ll be happy!

stumbler
6 days ago

@shadowfox , I don’t like to burst your bubble, but adopting Copaxone is an investment in your future.

Along with all other Disease Modifying Therapies (DMTs), their job is to reduce the frequency and severity of any future relapses. It won’t be able to fix symptoms from previous MS damage.

But, if you can stop your immune system from attacking you, your body may be able to effect some repairs.

I just didn’t want you to have false expectations. 😕

jadeshelley
6 days ago

@shadowfox I have been sent a letter from my ms nurse to ring her when I’ve had my delivery from pharmacy with my injections. However had a repeat blood test Monday and it’s come back abnormal still from being ill the other week. So have to wait another 2 weeks for another blood test before I can even start my treatment! Nightmare lol! X

shadowfox
6 days ago

@stumbler At the moment I don’t have expectations of what it will do, but I know DMTs aren’t a cure. If I can find some relief from my main symtoms as a result of treatment then great. If not, then I’ll just be content knowing I’m doing what I can to limit future damage.

@jadeshelley That’s annoying about your blood test but hopefully you can get started soon enough!

jadeshelley
6 days ago

I know yeah so annoying! But hey ho better to be safe than sorry eh! X

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.