Last reply 2 months ago
A query

I just want to know how you manage living on your own. Doing jobs like washing, tidying, hoovering, just general household chores.

For me it’s a mission. I’m wiped out after every job. It takes me roughly a full week to get everything done.

I have help from friends but they can’t be here all the time and I feel cheeky when I ask.

Do you do you ok?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

highlander
2 months ago

@rotherhamdave
Just like you mate!
Especially with the washing and ironing!
Putting the shopping away is really snickering!

highlander
2 months ago

Oh dear it would seem my explanation Mark got stuck before!

rotherhamdave
2 months ago

It’s a killer matey. I darent get outta bed lol

rotherhamdave
2 months ago

highlander
2 months ago

I get told off for doing to much one min then told off the next for not doing enough.
It keeps things interesting….

rotherhamdave
2 months ago

Id tell em to whistle

highlander
2 months ago

Spell check thing has ms.
Should have said explanation mark !!😊

rotherhamdave
2 months ago

It did?? U mean exclamation mark?

highlander
2 months ago

You haven’t met my beloved wife.
She is fantastically understanding but it boils over every now and again.

rotherhamdave
2 months ago

Haha. At least Uve help

highlander
2 months ago

Spell check, dyslexia and MS .
I’m doomed 😭

rotherhamdave
2 months ago

Haha 🤪🔫

angier
2 months ago

Can you not get some kind of home help?

grandma
2 months ago

Can I ask stupid question? Do you have a carer? I have just found one after 3 years without, as I’m sure you know, if you get top level of DLAPIP you can get carers allowance, currently £62.50 a week, the carer is supposed to ‘look after’ you for 30 hrs a week, would you do it for £2 an hour? But my carer does about 6-10 hrs a week, cleaning, putting shopping away, washing up etc., and what the government doesn’t know doesn’t hurt them. The allowance is paid directly to the carer so you don’t have to fork out, mine is fully aware that they might have to do more for me in the future, but is prepared to take that chance, as you’ve already mentioned friends who help out, is one of them well under 65 and earning less than £100 a week ( mine is my cleaner who also cleans offices in the evening) in which case, put it to them. When someone is being paid to do the work you don’t feel so guilty about asking them to scrub the loo! My ex other half was my carer for 20 years, but as soon as he reached 65 kind mr government took his money away, apparently pensioners don’t need money, so nice mr government is directly responsible for a 43 yr marriage break up. Moan over, but seriously look into it🥊😜

jessgibs25
2 months ago

It takes me a while to get to them done and I’m a clean freak! I even avoid doing the chores at times because it hurts to much which drives me crazy sometimes! but never feel shy or cheeky asking for some help from your surroundings! The least they can say is no so it doesn’t hurt to try 😇

On my good days, I put on some good music, stretch, make a list of what needs to be done and get right into it. Dedicate a couple of hours a day or a whole morning/ afternoon or even a day to just do chores if you have too. Sadly, my pain acts up quickly into my first task but I always try to push through it abit and take breaks. No your limits though! Best of luck!

dramaqueen
2 months ago

Look into saddle stools be aware of the height. You need them to go up quite high 66 cm and over. NO Carpet though. I am able to wash up, cook, put washing in the machine, hoover ect. Can be bought on eBay about 25,00 upwards or Amazon. Even eBay mapper or gumtree someone may be selling one in your area. I could not function without one. Hairdressers, Dentists use them.I have purchased about 4 wheels get changed seats even the air lift feature. I’m 5 ft 4 inches. Hope this could help. Sandra.

potter
2 months ago

I try to spread my chores out, If I go to the grocery store I pick up something from the Deli I know I will be to tired to cook. I don’t dust or vacuum until I can write my name in it and I wear the same clothes in my studio for three days. Why wash them when I am just going to get clay on them again. I change my sheets every two weeks now instead of once a week. (Accidents are the exception). If visitors don’t like my house a little dusty they can just come over and dust for me. We were talking about ordering groceries but now that my husband is retired I have help getting them into the house and put away. I order just about everything else from Ebay or Amazon. Potter

rotherhamdave
2 months ago

Thanks for answers @angier @jessgibs25 @grandma @dramaqueen and @potter.

Glad I’m not on my own with this struggle. I will look at getting a carer and allowance for it.

I am 36 and I would’ve never have thought I would be doing this .

What a crappy life

grandma
2 months ago

It is, but anything mr government can do to help us, go for it. Good Luck🥊😜

rotherhamdave
2 months ago

Finally all house jobs complete leaving me nothing to do over the weekend apart from have a cheeky snooze.

womble_barker
2 months ago

I know this fron non MS issues. Adult social services, assessment, doesn’t have to be random strangers can ask for a personal assistant via direct payments. Brokerage assessment financial assessment to work out your contribution, choices and rights help advertise for what your looking for. Job done. Bit long winded and can seem a long process but in the end it can work, because you have choosen who you want to work fr yoga’s a personal assistant. Can be a family member but can’t live at the same address as you.
Just thought I would share

rotherhamdave
2 months ago

mmhhpp
2 months ago

Not a chance I would manage on my own!

cameron
2 months ago

I’m always on the lookout for labour-saving ideas. First off – do you have a friend who could ‘review’ your house? A different pair of eyes may see corners you can cut and/or simplifications to your house layout. Getting shot of unnecessary furniture/ornaments can make life simpler (less dusting, fewer trip hazards). The kitchen creates a lot of work, which might be reduced by altering/reorganising things, even if that means hugely reducing what’s in your cupboards. Also, do you have OVEN LINERS? Heatproof soft plastic sheets which you cut to size to fit your oven floor (and grill pans/floors). Instead of having to clean the bottom of your oven, you just roll up the liner and wash it in washing up liquid. The muck wipes off immediately. For the oven shelves, a product called Oven Pride – you place the shelves in the bag provided, whack in the enclosed liquid and leave for 24 hours. Job done. ROBOT VACUUM CLEANER, now quite reasonably priced, saves loads of work. Just my thoughts, xx

rogersouthall
2 months ago

I used to live in America and with no support system and lack of insurance I decided to come back to the UK, it is hard at times but somehow we all get there

http://www.wholesorts.com

I write a monthly blog, for no real reason, just to let folk know that MS, at times, is a pain, but with support and determination we get there, and remember, we are the same people but slower, good luck, and shout is you need help

rotherhamdave
2 months ago

I have a lady friend that cleans my kitchen now. I’ve Known her years so I have trust there.

I have thrown a lot of unnecessary stuff out that my told me to do. He’s also put up a couple of grab rails on the wall to help me get around.

My place is now spacious, so less trips

rotherhamdave
2 months ago

My mate

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.