Last reply 1 week ago
A New Chapter

Ok so last 4yrs my wife has been my walking stick everywhere we go Hospital,Doctors,Supermarket I can’t Drive anymore due to health issues so totally rely on this fantastic woman to get me out of the House(my prison cell). My MS nurse suggested getting measured up for a Wheelchair 1. to make it easier on my wife 2.to make it easier on my wife. SHOCK ,HORROR not a cat in hells chance more chance of platting dog shit. I want to thank the person I sent a private message to, like you said iv’e slept on it . Looked at the doors it can open, and the doors I can run into, the wife is still going to have to take me out and push me but as she says if it gets too much she can always push me over a cliff. I’m not getting any younger not only my life has changed but also other peoples has namely my wifes, so i’m going to call this chapter .YOU CAN PLATT DOG SHIT just make sure you wear gloves. THANK YOU and goodnight xxx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

vixen
1 week ago

Hello @guiness, sorry you’re going through it (again). I wasn’t sure with your post whether it’s your frustration with your MS, or the wheelchair scenario you are most angered with. Sometimes I can be dense picking up nuances! Whatever though, most people here will understand your frustrations. Of course, that doesn’t help you practically. Just to say that, when I’ve been scrabbling around for solutions to seemingly impossible scenarios in the past, sometimes you can trick your mind into thinking outside of the box and taking another perspective. For example, presenting yourself or others with a really leftfield suggestion that might seem extreme. If you say things enough times, sometimes you can begin to buy into it. Just a thought……x

guinness
1 week ago

@vixen The suggestion of a Wheelchair floored me didn’t realise how much I was putting on my wife and how I was pulling here down and to some part how I was denying my own health or lack of it. So I have to accept things have changed and no doubt will continue to change so I welcome the wheelchair (not with open arms). x

vixen
1 week ago

Ah, I see. But you know @guinness, I am doing OK on the MS scale of life; was diagnosed last year, still working, can walk 20 minutes at a time. BUT, I know that I am comparatively disabled to my previous self and have often thought that, even though I am walking, a wheelchair or scooter would be quite liberating. That way, I could walk longer, further, and wouldn’t need to guesstimate all the time. So from my angle, I would see a chair as enabling quality of life. But yeah, I get you. None of us asked for this dreadful burden, right? Stay tough, keep grinning and bearing, keep fighting x

guinness
1 week ago

@vixen on the MS scale of life compared to other msers who have posted i’m very very lucky, sometimes I just want to vent my frustration my anger but don’t know how much I can swear and the type of language I can use and who I can vent it on. My ms is quite different as part of my Brain has died due to the stroke I suffered in 2014 so I tend to blame the stroke for everything it’s easier to explain to people why I walk like I’m pissed,why I hold on to walls and why i’m so so grumpy . So yes a chair would be liberating but will I once again have to explain WHY i’m in it !!!!!!!! x

pug1
1 week ago

Hello Guinness I too was in the same situation last year. I got a wheelchair and had to use it as my legs wouldn’t work due to the really hot temperatures. It wasn’t that bad and it enabled me to enjoy an afternoon tea with friends. Every time I go to the doctors now my wheelchair just makes it so much easier. I don’t see why you have to explain to anyone why you’re in it, my ms nurse told me “it was a prop for the moment”. Just take it slowly and calmly and don’t beat yourself up about it. I’m sure your wife is very much like my husband they hate to see us struggling. I’m sure it will make life easier both for you and your wife, have fun with it! Xx

grahamjk
1 week ago

Hi @guinness like @pug1 says it will make your life easier, myself I went the scooter route and it has not only made my life easier but also my fiancé’s. When we go out it’s no longer a slow wobble it’s a gentle stroll and we can now go as far as she can go not the short distance I can manage. As for explaining, why? It’s simple, just smile at them.

nutshell88
1 week ago

out of the topic pardon me,
but when were you diagnosed if I may ask I see in your profile 2018
I was diagnosed in 2005 woman and just got a car for the first time as im saudi and its womens driving’s been allowed recently and the whole world probably heard about that

I feel MS weakened me a bit my balance cant imagine me driving on round about
should I give it a try I got a car before getting license :/ im still 31

cameron
1 week ago

I suppose you’ve exhausted the pre-wheelchair option i.e. a rollator with seat?

guinness
1 week ago

@cameron pre – wheelchair my wife has been my w/stick, my crutch I’ve got to bury my pride and face facts

msikib
1 week ago

Same here mate, I’ve had 30yrs of MS and the last 3 to4 yrs I’ve been walking like a drunk crab and using shopping trolleys and shop windows to try and walk ‘normally’ I’ve had a walker with a seat given to me by the OT a month ago and I’m scared to use it cause in my head its giving up. I’ve got to stop worrying what other people think and think about the missus who has to hold me up or watch me try and be ‘normal’, its hard.

guinness
1 week ago

@ msikib At long last we’ve found one another , someone I can talk to a friend request is on its way

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.