Last reply 7 years ago
Vitamin D

Hi is anyone taking a vitamin D supplement? I’m on copaxone but want to feel i am doing everything i can. Started getting tremors in my arms and wondering if the copaxone is working and want to make sure I’m on the ball doing everything i can

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

beki
7 years ago

Hi Edw, did you see the vid on Vitamin D? Hope you find it useful – https://shift.ms/magazine/2011/09/vitamin-d-your-questions-answered/

djdsouza
7 years ago

Vitamin D and turmeric. Theese may both help you. There’s a Facebook group called multiple sclerosis and turmeric for more info

t
7 years ago

Hi Ed,

Ditto to Beki’s comment about the video – it’s very informative.

I always say to anyone thinking of starting Vit D supplements to get their levels checked first, just to see what they are. Your neuro/MS Nurse/GP should be able to do it (it’s a blood test).

Then you’ll get a better idea of how much you should be taking. I was severely deficient and started on 3,000iu p/day (although I’ve been told that I could have taken up to 5,000 iu/day). Make sure it’s D3 that you’re taking (not D2, which is what many GPs recommend as it’s cheaper!).

I use the Lamberts brand, which comes in denominations of 400iu and 1000iu tablets.

Hope that helps!

t
7 years ago

Hi Edw,

Ditto to Beki’s comment about the video – it’s very informative.

I always say to anyone thinking of starting Vit D supplements to get their levels checked first, just to see what they are. Your neuro/MS Nurse/GP should be able to do it (it’s a blood test).

Then you’ll get a better idea of how much you should be taking. I was severely deficient and started on 3,000iu p/day (although I’ve been told that I could have taken up to 5,000 iu/day). Make sure it’s D3 that you’re taking (not D2, which is what many GPs recommend as it’s cheaper!).

I use the Lamberts brand, which comes in denominations of 400iu and 1000iu tablets.

Hope that helps!

ally
7 years ago

Hi Edw,

I take Natures Plus 5000iu, link below, you can pick them up at Tescos Nutri Centre. I also use a sun lamp on my desk during the winter months. Check out the lumie website http://www.lumie.com

http://www.healthstore.uk.com/p464843/natures-plus-vitamin-d3-5000-iu-60-softgels.html

Hope this helps,
Ally

helenf
7 years ago

Does anyone think that taking vit D has had any benefits? Never had my levels checked or thought of taking a supplement so would be good to know? ta, helen

Hiya,

I’ve been taking 5000iu daily for about a year and a half now. I get mine from BigVits on the net. A tub of 360 soft gels costs about £15 i think.Give them a try
Mark

edw
7 years ago

thanks guys- all very helpful info. Bought soem vitamin d3 and going to look about a sun lamp. Will keep you all posted x

edw
7 years ago

thanks guys- all very helpful info. Bought soem vitamin d3 and going to look about a sun lamp. Will keep you all posted x

cariad
7 years ago

Just for any of you who are fed up of endless tablets…Holland and Barrett do a vit D spray…quite sweet but I find it so much better than taking a mountain of tablets:)

funnybank
7 years ago

hi helen, i feel a lot healthier since taking vit d3 it’s also made my skin fantastic!

helenf
7 years ago

I saw gp last weekand she said she’d never heard of any connection between ms and vitamin d!! Told her i’d talk to my ms nurse.

t
7 years ago

Hi hfrow,
I tend to take printouts of research with me if I go to my GP for specific MS-related things, for that very reason! GPs by nature need to know a little about a lot and aren’t necessarily aware of the specific in’s and out’s of something like MS. Take stuff with you to back up your case! I’d even do the same with your MS nurse, as I know of of cases where even some neuros and MS nurses aren’t very bothered about vitamin D either :-O

cclaire
7 years ago

Vitamin D cannot be prescribed on NHS, so if you’re going to take it you have to do so yourself. My GP recommended something called Sunvit. Google ‘Shine on Scotland’ for an inspiring story about a teenager and vitamin D!

gav
7 years ago

I’m popping my vitamin D supplements, fot them from Amazon. if nowt else they’ll give me m\rvelously smooth skin =)

gav
7 years ago

I’m popping my vitamin D supplements, fot them from Amazon. if nowt else they’ll give me m\rvelously smooth skin =)

t
7 years ago

I’ve known Vitamin D to be prescribed on the NHS but the recommended dosage is 400iu, which isn’t nearly enough usually. Whether or not a GP is willing to prescribe more is very hit and miss in my experience. I know some who have prescribed 10,000iu “hits” and then lower maintenance doses, while others just refuse to prescribe anything higher than 400iu. If you’re in an area where the injections are available, they seem to be mostly being kept for people who for one reason or another cannot go out in the sun, as there has been a problem with supply so they’re not readily available.
Mostly, it’s cheaper over the counter anyway, unless you get free prescriptions or do pre-payment certificates. However, if you’re going to buy it yourself, it would still be an idea to know what your levels are so you know how much to be taking – you need a doctor to help you with that!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.