Gav 15/02/12
Last reply 6 years ago
Tips for training for the GNR?

I’ve started training for this yeasrs GNR and my physio reccommended I speak with others MSers and ask how they coped? She described it as a real killer of a half marathon as its quite hilly. So any top training tips?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

Iain
6 years ago

Hey Gav, haven’t done the GNR, but have done other half marathons and a full marathon last year so can offer my thoughts!

Firstly have a look at runnersworld to pick up a generic training plan just so you have an idea of what is thought to be needed. Don’t worry tho as some of the plans can be pretty daunting! My main advice is listen to your body. For me the cumulative fatigue of training for the marathon made my ms symptoms come out, so I began to taper my training slightly earlier than the plan suggested as I knew that I needed recovery time for everything to settle down!

Other advice…..don’t do too many midweek 4-5 milers, instead put some hill training in (find a hill and just run hard up then slowly jog down, repeat the up and downs…..) and a few tempo runs. These will teach your body to recover quicker after the hills.

Drop me a line if you want to talk a bit more in detail about the training!

Iain

DjBlack
6 years ago

Hey mate … I’m in a similar predicament here in Australia. I’ve joined up to do a 96km trek (with 5 000m in elevation over the course of it) … stupid I know haha.

But mate at works friend is runs a gym and he reckons this will build up your thigh/glute/calf endurance. I’m not sure how your MS affects your running and what not but this could be something you could build to.

Set up some markers like 20 metres about … do 50 squats … do lunges to the marker … do 40 squats … lunges back to other marker … decrease by 10 each time until you get to zero. Painful? (YES!!!) But it will build up your muscle endurance. If your not keen on that much maybe start with smaller amount of squats and lunge distance. But it will certainly help.

Just remember … everything counts.

Gav
6 years ago

Heh, this whole ‘running’ thing is an alien concept for my legs, its more likely to be the great north walk for me at the moment, but we shall see how my physiotherapy works for me. Thanks for both your comments, apprecuated.

loulou
6 years ago

Hey Gav, running is something I only dream about, I would be happy just to be able to walk properly, you are very lucky,
If you can even walk this half marathon then think yourself very very lucky indeed! I envy you!

paul2011
6 years ago

just make sure the DWP doesn’t find out or they’ll give you nothing or take what you do get away from you.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.