Last reply 6 years ago
Stress and anxiety

‘don’t stress because you’ll get sick.’ Umm I can’t speak for any MS’er but I’m not a billionaire, I’m not a yogi living in an Ashram and unfortunately I am not JK Rowling or Stephen King (I would love to write for a living). So stress is a natural part of my life. How do you lessen the stress?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

GMG
6 years ago

I think the key is getting rid of ‘unnecessary’ stress…. Good example – I got stressed doing grocery shopping – tired me out, struggled with heavy bags, was so fatigued by the time I got home that I couldn’t do anything the rest of the evening. So now I shop online. Let the supermarket pickers and delivery people take the stress from me!

Hello,

Yeah i agree, get rid of the unnecessary stuff. Online shopping is a great example. If you work too, try changing things you have difficulty with…..palm it off!!

CaptainKristoff
6 years ago

I too am not a billionaire, or even a millionaire, or ever likely to be with my lottery efforts yet to even extend to 3 numbers…..
Stress does make a difference though. I had my first “episode” and then nothing for 2 years. Then I started a new job, it was a very good job and a good career step; downside was that it was very high pressure and high stress. Within 4 weeks of working there I started with hypersensitivity in my forearms then had serious trouble walking, these relapses kept coming for a year until I got to the point I was no longer able to do my job and so handed in my notice.
2 months later and I’ve realised just what a massive effect the stress was having on me. I know most people have a level of stress and just deal with it, feel a little exhausted sometimes and get a few colds but for someone with MS that’s prime time for it to take effect.
As a result of this I’m now looking for that holy grail of jobs, the sort with good pay and no stress! Hmmmm…
Well, I’m giving serious thought to becoming a driving instructor as I’ll be my own boss so no one riding me for deadlines and the pay’s alright. I figure it can’t be massively stressful, just calmly instructing my student. Also now I can control my hands again it means I can draw once more so I’m also planning on doing portraits of peoples pets etc.
My situation is pretty drastic but it’s what I needed, I feel SOOOOOO much better now I’m out of that environment which did literally physically disable me for the best part of a year.
I’m not saying you should do the same, just take the “don’t stress because you’ll get sick thing” seriously as it does have an effect, be it a lot or a little. Any steps you can take, like those mentioned above will all help. We’re in this for the long run and I intend to make things the best I can for myself!

Here’s to a chilled out existence! Or the closest we can get!

mschronic
6 years ago

Thanks for the advice folks- I’m really trying my best with this problem.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.