Cedelle 28/02/12
Last reply 6 years ago
Practising walking…

I had a terrible relapse last year my first ever one & i was off my feet for 4 months. It has affected my balance & strength in my knees and ankles & i am having physio but i now cannot walk very far without feeling like my legs are going to collapse! so i have decided to practice every day walking

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

Cedelle
6 years ago

a little bit further and further as i think the majority of my issue is the confidence as i dont believe i can do it therefore i encounter difficulties.. Opinions would be appreciated!! xx

IANG
6 years ago

HI CEDELLE . I HAD MY WORST RELAPSE THREE YEARS AGO AND IT HAS LEFT ME WITH LESIONS ON MY BRAIN . I NOW WALK WITH A WALKING STICK AN HAVE TO GET USED TO THAT . I DONT NEED A WALKING STICK ITS JUST TO TELL OTHER PEOPLE IM OFF BALANCE AND TO STEER CLEAR . KEEP YOUR PRACTICING UP AND I WISH YOU WELL ….IAN G X

CaptainKristoff
6 years ago

Hey Cedelle, I’ve had two bouts of serious difficulty walking, not as bad as you by the sound of it, but I had several consecutive months where walking for more than a few minutes would about finish me off….I was stomping around like Robocop my legs felt so heavy or dragging my feet terribly.
My walking has now improved massively to the point where you’d never know I had a problem and my balance is pretty much back to normal, even able to ride a bike in a straight line now! I think practice is a very good idea, I went to the MS day in London the other week arranged in part by Shift.ms and spoke to a physio lady there, for balance she recommended standing up straight then leaning off centre a little way and then righting yourself again so your brain can “re-calibrate”, and then when you can do that again try it with your eyes closed! I’ve been doing it daily and can now do it with my eyes closed. Before, when I was washing my face in the shower I used to have to have one hand on the wall when I closed my eyes! :-S
Also, if you’ve had 4 months off your feet you’ll prob need to build the muscles in your legs a little again, but that’ll be what physio’s for I guess!
Personally, I’ve found practice helps hugely, as you said, your confidence is shaken now and so your lowered expectations of what you’re capable of may well be affecting your abilities.

That’s my thoughts on the matter anyway! I hope you improve soon,

Kris

ricanfemale30
6 years ago

during my relapse last year i would have to walk with a cane, wall-hugged n relied on holding on to people.. i could not walk two blocks before the pain n weakness was too much..i began to walk my dog more routinely every day at least twice a day.. no matter how crappy i felt and i started taking organic vitamins thru my online business and now im able to walk a half hour with my dog, walk further to the corner store.. its about healthy eating, vitamins and exercise.. it wont cure us but it will definatly make us a bit stronger n healthier.. jackie

Cedelle
6 years ago

Thank you so much for all of your comments, i will continue to practice my walking and i am determined to get some strength back into my thighs!! thanks again xx

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.