Last reply 6 years ago
Off work sick…again:(

In a major relapse at the mo and been off work sick for 2 weeks already. Saw the doctor yesterday and he signed me off for another 4 weeks. Called into work today to drop my sick note in and explained that I could (with the doc’s agreement) do a few hours work from home a day in a…

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

Cariad
6 years ago

couple of weeks. Looks like it’s not going to be allowed from work’s point of view as they would want to risk assess my flat from and Health and Safety point of view, check the ergonomics of my work area, chair, table, lighting etc…as I don’t even have an office area in my flat, it’s not going to fit the bill at all! Feeling kinda frustrated…I know I’m not in a position to go back to work yet but seems like H&S gone over the top!!!Meh.x

GMG
6 years ago

Hi Cariad, There seems to be plenty of people using this website with legal experience so hopefully they can advise you but I do know that a workplace has to make reasonable adjustments for you if you want to continue working. Ergonomics can be corrected fairly easily (depending on what your relapse symptoms are) and if all it requires is a risk assessment, then not sure why it couldn’t be done. I know people who work from home who just had fill in a self-assessment for the H&S form – i.e. agree that they’ve checked everything works ok so the company doesn’t have to do it themselves. Worth looking into if you really want do some work?

Cariad
6 years ago

I do-definitely….I’m not pushing myself beyond what I can do-I know I can’t do a lot at the mo but equally I could manage something. I’ve said I’m quite happy for someone to come and visit to do the risk assessment etc but my manager thinks that unless I’ve got a desk, proper chair etc then the lady in charge of H&S will say no. Problem is, we only have a small flat that we’re renting and don’t have an office, we don’t even having a dining table or anything that I could use (or a lot of space to put one haha) and apparently they won’t allow me to work on my laptop working on the sofa etc. I’m all for making sure I don’t hurt myself working from home but if I was only working for eg 2 hours a day anyway, even with the not quite ideal work environment, I’d still be fine.

GMG
6 years ago

Oh dear. It’s worth a try though. And have you thought about getting a small folding table which you could put away somewhere when you’re not using it? I’ve seen them in places like £stretcher for less than a tenner. It’s a shame that if you want to work, you won’t be able to because of the H&S brigade!

GMG
6 years ago

Doh – that should say Poundstretcher – the symbol didn’t come out right!

Cariad
6 years ago

Definitely worth a try. Problem is with the folding table idea getting a suitable chair with the correct distances, angles etc to work at it according to H&S. Am definitely going to chase up and keep fighting for it though! Yep, health and safety brigade going a little too far! They seem to see the toeing the legal line and forget to use the commonsense alongside it:/ As a whole though, they’ve been brilliant about my MS since it all kicked off and I’m grateful to still be there.x

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.