Si 18/10/11
Last reply 6 years ago
MS & Diabetes (Type 1)

Does anyone else on here have Diabetes Type 1, as well as MS?? Or am I the unluckiest bloke on the planet??

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

janep
6 years ago

Hi Si, I don’t, but I do know at least two other people with both MS and diabetes- I think it’s quite common to have more than one autoimmune condition.

janep
6 years ago

Hi Si, I don’t, but I do know at least two other people with both MS and diabetes- I think it’s quite common to have more than one autoimmune condition.

T
6 years ago

Ditto to the above comment about having more than one autoimmune condition. I know someone with both MS and Ulcerative Colitis…..

Cathy74
6 years ago

Hi Si, a friend of mine has both, agree with janep and T, seems to be quite common. In fact I was thinking about this yesterday, my dad has diabetes, my mom has arthritis and I have ms, all classed as autoimmune. We are all healthy in every other aspect (don’t smoke, eat well, exercise etc), so no matter what all the boffins say, we must just have the genes! Cathy xx

Si
6 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. I know it is not uncommon to have both conditions, after discussions with my Neurologist, but have never (to my knowledge) met anyone that did have both.

Thanks again

missfi
6 years ago

Hi si, I have both M.S and type 1 diabetes. My M.S was diagnosed in 1989 and my diabetes a year later…what about you?

Si
6 years ago

Fi the reverse timeline for me. Diagnosed with Diabetes Type 1 in 1997 & then with MS in 2005. The condition with the biggest impact on my day to day life, up until this year,has been my Diabetes. Unfortunately this year has been a bloody nightmare in respect of the MS – one thing after another. Roll on 2012!

missfi
6 years ago

i can totally understand what you mean Si..sometimes i dont know whether it’s my MS making my head swimmy or I’m having a hypo..both feel exactly the same lol. How are you now with your MS?

Si
6 years ago

In the summer I had a lesion on my brain stem, which left me unable to swallow – resulting in me losing over a stone in weight, double vision & a load of other things. Ended up spending 3 nights in the local hospital as things got so bad. Anyway, after two months off work I finally went back in August. Since then I’ve had another bout of Optic Neuritis & yesterday I was informed that I now have Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN). Get this, in medical circles TN is commonly called ‘Suicide [email protected]!!!! Effin ‘ell.

Lus
6 years ago

Hi Fi and Si, i thought i was one of the only ones out there stuck with both!! Can i be rude and ask what age you both were when you got both diseases? I have just been recently diagnosed and i’m trying to find anything i can abou the two being linked. Thanks

Si
6 years ago

In the summer I had a lesion on my brain stem, which left me unable to swallow – resulting in me losing over a stone in weight, double vision & a load of other things. Ended up spending 3 nights in the local hospital as things got so bad. Anyway, after two months off work I finally went back in August. Since then I’ve had another bout of Optic Neuritis & yesterday I was informed that I now have Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN). Get this, in medical circles TN is commonly called ‘Suicide [email protected]!!!! Effin ‘ell.

Si
6 years ago

Don’t know how the message above has duplicated itself, but to answer your question Lu – I was diagnosed with Type1 Diabetes aged 25 & then with MS aged 33. I’m now 39.

missfi
6 years ago

Hi Lu – I was diagnosed with MS when I was 19 and Type 1 Diabetes when I was 26. How about you?

missfi
6 years ago

Hi Si..so sorry to hear your having a bit of a s..t time of it. Ive only had optic neuritis once thankfully but forgive me for being dopey but what is TN and what are the symptoms.
Ive decided this site is great cause I’m learning loads. I think it’s because, despite having MS for many years, Ive never really spoken to anyone about it…you’re all brill xx

Lus
6 years ago

I was diagnosed at 19 for diabetes Type 1 and 25 for MS. That’s like a 6- 8 year period that the three of us got diagnosed with all this crap. I’m under a new neuro at the moment and have been talking to him about the 2 being linked so this is great info thankyou. I am soo glad i found this website and can actually speak to people about it all. Hope things start getting better soon Si

missfi
6 years ago

been to see Gp today and have been started on amantadine for my spasms/tremors and I hope it helps with this fatigue fingers x.How’s u all?

Si
6 years ago

Fi – TN is damage to the 3 nerves on the face. Rather than me attempting to explain it, more precise details can be found @ http://www.patient.co.uk. But PLEASE, don’t start looking for things that may never effect you. It’ll do your head in. 🙂

smile247
6 years ago

Hey a little late,but have only just found this sight and reading through past notes. I also have both type 1 diabetes since the age of 11 and just recently been told I have ms (after a 2year rollercoaster of u may have ms, u don’t have ms and now u definitely do have ms!) it truly is a bummer but have been told if you have one autoimmune disease you are prone to another. So great to talk to real people who are actualy going trough the same thing! 🙂 x

Lus
6 years ago

Hey smile, its so great to know that theres more of us around. Until i jumped on this site i thought i might have been the only one!! Do you find that the MS affects your diabetes at all?? Or the other way round??

smile247
6 years ago

hey lu,
You know what to be honest i cant really accurately answer your question as i havent really monitored them both alongside each other to say yes or no. but will do now. i have just been recently diagnosed and arent wholely convinced so am waiting on the results of a lumbar puncture. but my diabetes wasnt controlled great on 4 out of 5 of my relapses, but then in this last one it has been the tightest control ever. how do u find it affects you?

Lus
6 years ago

When im having a relapse and have to go in for steroid treatment, my sugars are through the roof!! I sometimes wonder what makes me feel worse. But i have noticed that when im really fatigued i tend to hypo a lot!! The worse i am the more hypos i have. Its crap because theres not too many people out there you can compare it to. Let me know how you find it all!!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.