joon 29/03/09
Last reply 6 years ago
Injection time

It’s time to psych myself up for the Avonex jab. I’m finding it harder and harder to do every time and I can go for weeks without being able to do it. Do you inject? Do you find it difficult? How do you deal?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

julshap
8 years ago

I used to take Avonex and inject myself. I, too, found it very difficult. Do you live with anyone that can do it for you? I wish I had advice on how to make it easier for you. I used to just do it quickly when I did it myself and then, others offered to do it for me and that helped.

roserouge
8 years ago

When I was on Avonex (no longer), I found that you have to really relax so your muscles aren’t tense. I injected into my leg and tried to avoid any veins which I could see. Just stay calm but do it swiftly…it will get easier!

Sophie
8 years ago

I’m afraid my mental block got so big I couldn’t get over it, the side effects were awful too. On rebif now, much more manageable! Good luck

Jamess
8 years ago

I used to take Avonex too and Roserouge is right you need to really really relax…I cheeted a bit, I use cannabis to help me relax (doctors never said it was a good thing but also never told me to stop either)and also the auto injector as i cant stand needles, I now use capaxone as the needle is 4x smaller (with no side-effects)but it`s everyday instead of once a week, but still 1 1/2 year down the line I hate injecting myself.
I only stopped Avonex as I was having some crazy side-effects I was 1 in 100,000 to get it.
capaxone works fine for me at the moment though.

Ally
8 years ago

I developed a proper phobia when I was on Rebif which was a nightmare, I had to resort to getting family to do it for me, not good when your sis volunteers and she’s half cut on cider! When I swapped to Copaxone I thought ‘oh god this is worse it’s every day’. The MS nurses knew I was struggling though and so they kindly booked out a double appointment and I did the first one without the pen, very slowly, trying to stay relaxed. I realised I had more of a phobia over the pen than the actual needle, nearly a year on like James above I’m still not a massive fan (who would be- Amy Winehouse?) but it’s not the trauma it used to be. Also top tip, it really is harder to do when you’re tired!

roserouge
8 years ago

Really good feedback there. I am much more positive about Copaxone now. I was dreading injecting every day but perhaps it will be easier than Avonex and not have the nasty side effects! What happens if you dont inject for 2 days (say you were away and forgot to take it with you)?

Jamess
8 years ago

I to was dreading injecting every day but It has worked for me more than Avonex did personal preference id rather have 20 mins of stinging per day than the flu for a day or 2 every week. As ive found if I dont inject for 2 days (When taking Copaxone) I get really tired, but apart for that i dont really feel anything else.

Rachie
8 years ago

Cranking my Sixth Avonex injection tonight, I’ve noticed that the longer I hesitate before I do it, the harder it becomes…… Also, the two times I’ve done it with my nurse I’ve been like a pro, but when I’m at home i hesitate a lot more – which has led me to the theory that if i’m doing it with someone else, I do it quickly to save face and not seem like a wimp. So I get my boyfriend to go: “three, two, one” and then I do it. Maybe the fear of not looking wimpy will work for you too!

mlok2000
8 years ago

I’m on Avonex. Initially it was very hard to take, there can be a nasty sting that will put you right off it (worst incident I had to wait half an hour before trying again). I find the Ice pack helps when I have it to hand – but am also fine without it these days. Always keep your leg straight (sit on the edge of your seat – this does relax the muscle). Anyway, somehow distract yourself from any pain you might feel from the needle – keep going it’s easier to deal with this than trying to psyche yourself up again.

jules37
8 years ago

im on avonex and there is no way i would be able to inject myself i cant even bear to look at the needle so my partner has been doing it in my butt cheek for the past year without a problem. We split up last week so im panicking now

grahamfraser
8 years ago

hi i am on copaxone and have been since nov last year and the injecting every day i hard to get the hang of but after a while its ok its worse when i am at work but when i am at home its easy to do if someone else is there to talk to when you are doin it sounds strange bit it takes your mind off it. try it if you get the chance

roserouge
8 years ago

I find that too…much easier if someone is there to chat to! Weird isn’t it?! I find it easier too knowing I’m not going to get side effects (I’m on Copaxone now). I hated injecting Avonex simply because I knew an hour afterwards I would feel very ill!

kclifford
8 years ago

I use an auto-injector which helps. Couldn’t do it without. I sometimes have times where I just can’t press the button on it and have to get my husband to press it. I think it’s all down to state of mind at the time. If you’re feeling a bit stressed it’s harder. The sense of relief when it’s over with is overwhelming. Side effects are not too bad and I just think at the end of the day (hopefully) this is helping me.

Lainey
8 years ago

Hi,Im on Avonex injection and I take it every Wednesday.I absolutley hate the thoughts of it.I do be in a mood all day,just thinking that I have to get the injection later on that evening.I cant bear to get the injection ready,or to even look at the needle.My mum gets the injection ready she gives it to me in my butt cheek.I dont know what id do without her.I know someday I will have to start doing it myself,but my mum has been doing it to me for four years now.The auto-injector seems to be good,but I know I wouldnt be able to press the button to release the injection.I hope they bring out an oral tablet soon,so we wont have to inject ourselves anymore.

sportscrazygal
8 years ago

I used to be on Avonex pre-filled and used the auto injector which i coped really well with. The side affects were really bad and I was switched to the Avonex bio-set. I now have to get my partner to inject me as I can face doing it manually and I find the new auto injector worse.

Ferret
8 years ago

I am on Avonex and have been for just over 2 years. The auto-injector scares me so I have always done it manually. Can’t bring myself to ‘stab’ it in though so do it far too slowly which doesn’t help. My husband has done the injection in my butt for the past 6 weeks or so because I couldn’t bring myself to do it and my legs were sore for days after. Agree with Lainey above – bring on the oral tablet!

Gerard
8 years ago

I’ve been on Avonex for 3 years now and for some reason about 1 year ago I got that phobia too – I was fine for ages then I just couldn’t do it anymore. I think I began thinking about too much before I actually tried to inject. I got over it by just stabbing it in the side of the thigh with my eyes closed (probably not really recommended!)- it really helped – now I just sit down and inject it straight away without really thinking first so its over in less than a few seconds.

icamartins
7 years ago

I’ve been on Avonex for 1 year now. A few months ago I developed ‘the’ phobia and my nurse gave me an injector, which really helps. And now that the side effects aren’t so strong (I still get some but hardly notice after a painkiller. Or two) I’ve been doing my injection in the morning instead – I find it much easier as it’s simple to fit it in the morning routine, as if it was just another normal thing that you do; so now I think much less about it, either beforehand or while I’m doing it. I’d definitely advise anyone with manageable side effects to do the same.

LauraM
7 years ago

Hey Joon,
It’s hard when the fear kicks in, it can really immobilise you! I’ve just started on Avonex and I have a nurse at my local doctors do it for me every week, I just lie on the couch, have my leg injected and relax for 5mins afterwards….its great! I couldnt face doing this one by myself, (I was on Rebif before) so it helps to have someone else do it for you, I have the added benefit of knowing if something goes wrong Im in the right place 🙂

littlesprocket
7 years ago

I’m on Avonex. I had to come off Copaxon because I was one of the 1 in 1000000 that would get skin cave in at the injection site (looks sooooooo sexy). Avonex I think gives me really bad flu like symtoms however I take panadine forte (I’m in Australia so I don’t know if you guys call is this so lets just say really really strong paracetamol that the doctor has to give to you) and all is good in the morning.

I’m voting for the tablets too. BRING THEM ON DAM IT!

sarahrosem
7 years ago

do you have an autoinjector? it seems to be easy and faster then having to plunge the needle in , yourself. seems to hurt a bit but its over in a second

janep
7 years ago

I did my very first Avonex injection yesterday after coming off copaxone due to lipoatrophy. I’d used the autoject with copaxone for two and a half years so had a bit of a meltdown when I discovered I’d have to do the avonex manually! Took me about half an hour to actually do it but it was nowhere near as bad as I’d expected so feeling quite proud of myself now! Hopefully it will get easier each time with fewer tears!

Rachie
7 years ago

Janep, they have an autoinjector for Avonex too! Much easier, ask your nurse about it! x

janep
7 years ago

Hi Rachie, I did ask about the autoject but it sounds like a bit of a faff to use and you still have to actually do the injection, it just sticks the needle in for you. I’m hoping I can get used to doing it manually but will bear it in mind if ‘the fear’ takes hold! x

Irisheyes
7 years ago

I was also on Avonex for close to two years and I know it sound’s weird but I was upset when I was taken off. I had a whole ritual in place..well with my husband. My husband used the autoinjector but I would freeze the area so much before that I couldn’t feel a thing.

Samantha
7 years ago

I’ve been on Avonex for a year now. I’ve just started using smaller gauge needles that one of the nurses gave me. I find it so much easier now,it doesn’t hurt anywhere near as much! That has taken a lot of the dread away. I found arranging to do things straight after helps, my reaction doesn’t kick in till 5 hours after so I can go out and meet ppl or go to gym class. Forces me to get it over with and not over think it. Its finding what works for you, its taken me a while.

bloomers1968
7 years ago

I don’t give myself time to think about it i just load the injector and do it straight away. don’t give yourself time to think just do …..

Pixxiex
7 years ago

Avonex injection was what i was on first and personally i found it a bit of a pain in the arse
but recently just started the rebif injection 3 times a week and i find it much better.
Although it is dont more times the best thing about it is you dont see the needle and you dont feel it going in to your skin. So it helps with my fear of needles
And the side effects arnt as annoyin as avonex
xo

AndrewD
7 years ago

A ton of conflicting advice Joon so cant resist adding some of my own. I started on copaxone in autumn, and while I accept its a smaller needle it was still more than I thought I could cope with being a lifelong needle phobe. Fine now though and the trick for me was to keep looking. To watch the needle from start to finish and dont look away. For whatever reason I felt more in control and the fear evaporated. For that reason I never fancied the auto-inject.

Hope all is getting easier though!

uptoeleven
6 years ago

Andrew – the autoject sucks. I’ve been on Copaxone for 6 years now and have developed a technique that works for me. Loving your blog by the way 🙂 (http://endofcomplacency.org for them that haven’t seen it yet)

pepe
6 years ago

I was on Avonex for eleven years and i think that the best way is by trying not to think much, just do it, though if you find it to hard any nurse would do it for you.

Ayse
6 years ago

I started with copaxone when I was diagnosed (May). It’s sounds a little bit weird but in the first weeks I didn’t mind. But then it was so difficult to adapt. It hurts, it burns, it swells then it itches. Otherwise I had no side effects except for a few weeks ago. I had breathlessness, but that should be normal. I was afraid that something is going wrong because I had this side effect after 3 month. But my doctor said that there are patients who have side effects after 7 years. So everthink is ok I think!

Edw
6 years ago

i’m on copaxone and i find making sure i have something to do straight afterwards is a help as it take my attention ff the injection – such as watching a program on tv. Im a clutz and frequently inject into muscles when i’m not paying attention but i spoke to my ms practice nurse again and got a few tips which was really good

sues151
6 years ago

on a routine visit to my ms nurse i was told of a new auto injector first introduced this october that administers the injection for you and also the needle itself is finer and shorter, after the injection the whole thing is then put into your sharps box, hallelujah what are we waiting for…. got my first jab assisted on the 24th nov, can’t wait. the only draw back for me is you have to use all of your old injections up first. will let you know how i get on.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.