gpeps 26/11/11
Last reply 6 years ago
Does scuba diving give you the same benefit as HBO?

Hello all

I’ve recently arrived in Indonesia (sorry, trying not to gloat too much) and wanted to know about scuba diving…

Has anyone given it a go? Has anyone tried Hyperbaric oxygen treatment (HBO) either? Should they both have similar beneficial effects?

Any tips would be great

Thanks, G

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

Gem
6 years ago

Hello! I’m am jealous! No idea what HBO is (thought it was an American tv channel!) but have been diving. Am not the best person to ask tho – was bloody terrified the whole time!

Have a fantastic holiday!

loulou
6 years ago

Hi there
I posted this question a couple of weeks ago but I don’t think many “shifter’s” have tried the Oxygen tank
I tried a couple of months back but could only go down to 8 feet depth because my right ear was in real pain, not just popping but “pain” so had to come up! going to try again though as many people there say they wouldn’t do without it!

loulou
6 years ago

Hi there
I posted this question a couple of weeks ago but I don’t think many “shifter’s” have tried the Oxygen tank
I tried a couple of months back but could only go down to 8 feet depth because my right ear was in real pain, not just popping but “pain” so had to come up! going to try again though as many people there say they wouldn’t do without it!

swisslet
6 years ago

Scuba diving is brilliant and I love it: I was terrified about failing the famously rigorous medical in Australia, but the note from my brilliant MS Nurse that I took with me made all the difference and my wife had more trouble with her occasional asthma than I did with MS. As for being like a hyperbaric chamber…. You are under pressure, but the air in your tank is exactly that: air, not pure oxygen. It is great fun and thus therapeutic though. Especially if you see sharks!

Ozi77
6 years ago

Hi gpeps,

I’ve been in a HBO tank. It was about 8 years ago and from memory I remember feeling exhausted at the end of the hour long session. Being a Londoner, maybe my body wasn’t appreciative of the clean air I was inhaling. I have no idea whether or scuba diving would mimic a HBO chamber.

Beanie
6 years ago

Hi there,
I’m new to this site and have just seen this first post from gpeps.
I started HBO about 18 months ago (6 months after diagnosis with RRMS) and, after an initial 3 week course going into the chamber daily for an hour at different depths (8foot, 16 foot and then 22foot)to get my oxygen levels up, I now go weekly at 8 foot.
I only really notice a difference when I haven’t been for a couple of weeks but my husband says I’m a much nicer person when I’ve been regularly (i.e. weekly) :0). So I guess, for me, it helps with the “fatigue” (I hate that word – it should just be called “dog tired exhaustion”!).
I am lucky that I have an MS centre near me with a chamber:
http://www.msntc.org.uk/oxygen_treatment.htm
It’s £10 donation each dive. But well worth it if you go regularly and keep yourself topped up. It also aids a speedier recovery from physical injuries – apparently some footballers are advised to go in a chamber to aid recovery but not sure if that’s just gossip! Also, I met a stroke patient in the chamber recently who said it massively speeded up her recovery.
Have no idea about deep sea diving mimicking the chamber. I guess it depends on the depth you go to – the more pressure, the better apparently – but I think 8 foot is plenty for me.
You need to watch out for colds etc. as going in the chamber with one will make your ears really sore – might explain lou-lou’s ear pain?
Anyway, hopes this helps.
Happy diving either in the chamber or with the fishes!

Beanie
6 years ago

Sorry – this is the web address for the MS centre I go to:
http://www.bmstc.org/
The other link is to info about oxygen chambers.

Beanie
6 years ago

Meant also to say, gpeps…..pretty envious of you out in Indonesia!

gpeps
6 years ago

Hello, thanks so much for the replies. I started with a one day exploratory dive and loved it so much that I am going ahead to complete the openwater course. Ears were a bit uncomfortable to begin with (understand the feeling lou-lou) but thankfully passed and I absolutely love it! Completely agree Swiss let, so therapeutic and great that no one can talk either! A turtle swam past me yesterday, no more than a meter, awesome experience. I think I might be hooked… They are now trying to persuade us to go on the advanced course to go deeper and have a real chance to hang out with the sharks. Know what you mean gem, terrifying,but I try not too think to much about it. Ozi, I have definitely been tired after the dives so far, but I guess no surprise considering the amount of exercise/ excitement. Bearnie, glad HBO is working for you. I know, I’m so lucky to be out here – it’s beautiful!

I’ll let you know how I get on. Thanks, George

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.