graham100 30/01/15
Last reply 3 years ago
3 year driving license.

Just got confirmation that I’m going on a 3 year. It says send back photo licence fill in forms. But it don’t ask for new photo? Anyone know, save me sitting on phone for ages. Lol thanks. UK.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

I suppose this depends on how old the original photo on your licence is. We don’t tend to change that much, do we?

So, does you current licence look like you? If so, then just let them use that photo.

If you do grow a second head, you can provide a new photo in 3 years time! lol 😆

graham100
3 years ago

Ok thanks. @stumbler. My photo licence is a bit worn but suppose you can see photo. Sure they will be in touch if there’s a problem,

stumbler
3 years ago

@graham100 , when I had too swap my licence, I had to send them my pink piece of paper – how old am I? lol 😆

graham100
3 years ago

@stumbler. Haha. Your no older than me. I had one of them once. Remember your only as old as the woman you feel. Oh bugger, that makes me old. Better trade her in. Lol

northernlass
3 years ago

That’s all I did… my car licence photo is of me aged 17 when I applied for a passport .. I still look similar if not with a few extra crinkles now but the photo on the licence isn’t that clear anyway and my hair is different but a policeman could roughly tell it was me.. and also I have a more up to date photo on my blue badge. I think they just want the old plastic card licence back to change the expiry date and the categories of vehicle you can drive 😀 Mine was quite straight forward. But did you know that either your vehicle or one used by the main person who helps cart you about or does things for you ie: your shopping is eligible for a reduced tax on the car.. 🙂 worth looking into.. I now am entitled to a 50% reduction because I get Standard rate mobility PIP ..

northernlass
3 years ago

and I too had to send in my paper licence @stumbler 😀 but the question is do you remember one pound green notes or large white five pound notes… 😉

stumbler
3 years ago

@northernlass , and what about the good old 10 Bob note, the threepenny bits (not rhyming slang this time!), tanners, halfpennies and farthings! lol 😆

northernlass
3 years ago

Lol @stumber I think they changed everything just as I started school :-/ but I used to love the big old penny’s when I was a little-un. I think they even had the kings head on some…but were out of circulation.. I remember a tiny 50p shaped one with a picture of a portcullis on it… Shilling..?? or hapeney..?? Beside we were poor so never got to see or hold money much when I was a kid.. (Monty Python sketch about being a “lucky bugger” playing in my head.. )

stumbler
3 years ago

@northernlass , you mean one of these:-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c6/British_threepence_1967_reverse.png/220px-British_threepence_1967_reverse.png

You’re just trying to get me to say that I like three-penny bits too! lol 😆

northernlass
3 years ago

Weren’t they pretty… why did we get rid of Thrupp-ney-bits… 😉

graham100
3 years ago

Haha. I remember thrupenny bits. And jublies & mivies, thinking ice cream again. Summer,, @northernlass the car tax thing yes I’m getting Motobility car so they do the tax. But thanks there are a lot of people don’t know there rights.

northernlass
3 years ago

I’m glad you mentioned that JUBBLIES and MIVVIES were in actual fact the names of ice creams and nothing else.. we’ll all be getting a bit hot under the collar with the direction this seems to be going 😉 The mobility car is a great idea and with the extras I suppose it’s worth it so brilliant they take car of the tax too 🙂 but us mere mortals are also happy to get something off of our car tax too… I got rid of my Fiesta £145 to tax for a full year for an automatic ford focus which is £145 for 6 months… but with the disability reduction it turns out to be £137 for a whole year… RESULT .. look after the pennies and the thrupp-ney bits will look after themselves 😉

thecuriosity
3 years ago

They didn’t take a new photo, and actually didn’t seem bothered about not getting the paper license back (although I got a new one with the new card) – speaking of which, mine arrived pretty sharpish ter I applied, so yay, I have id again.

druid
3 years ago

I think its every ten years for photocard? I just got put on 3 Years for car and can keep HGV but on 1 year renewal. Old money! remember going to the shop with thruppence for sweets but it was before i went to school. I was born in ’64 and have a walking stick with 1964 coins set in the handle Penny, Half penny, Truppence, sixpence and a gold St.Christopher i had for my 18th birthday inlaid into the top, haven’t used it for a year or two as my knee got better (not MS related) still used it for almost ten, there if i need it.

lin-holland
3 years ago

I’ve still got my original old green license no pink card for me yet. I’m not really driving at the moment as I have a 4 x 4 although adapted I’m struggling to get into the drivers side, but, do seem to be able to get into the passengers side, it’s a little to high for me. I don’t want to give up driving though and completely loose my independence.

stumbler
3 years ago

@lin-holland , is the DVLA aware of your MS? It’s a legal requirement to tell them. Apart from breaking the law, it will invalidate your car insurance.

The DVLA won’t stop you driving, but they will monitor your condition with a 3 year licence, to protect you and everyone else. 😉

lin-holland
3 years ago

Hi John,

Yeah I told them about 14 years ago, an they seemed to think it was ok to drive. I certainly wasn’t told anything about a 3 yr license. Although a couple of years ago I was a little concerned about my driving, I was ok, but, decided to get an automatic car. I’ve always loved driving, but, certainly wouldn’t won’t to put my life or anyone else in danger. Then last year I brought a new 4 x 4 car an had it adapted. I still use the foot pedals instead of the hand controls though, as this was how I was taught to drive many years ago, even though I had lessons with the hand controls. I am still able to use the foot pedals, but, the hand controls are there just in case. I am also excempt from car tax. However, I will call the DVLA on Monday just to make sure.

Many thanks Lin

stumbler
3 years ago

@lin-holland , it’s worthwhile calling the DVLA (0300 790 6806). They did something similar with me, but I got concerned that every other MSer was getting a 3-year licence, so I wrote to them!

I’m now on a 3-year licence, so a call will be worthwhile. 😉

lin-holland
3 years ago

Thx very much, I’ll call them on Monday, I will let u know how I get on

lin-holland
3 years ago

After holding on the phone for ages and calling back this afternoon I did manage to speak with someone from the DVLA, they are going to send me a form to fill in and return, so I maybe also getting a 3yr driving license. I’m hoping to get back behind the wheel soon as I haven’t driven fora couple of months now! Think I’m losing my confidence, although I really hope not.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.