Last reply 1 year ago
1st appointment advice please

Hi!
I have my first appointment at the MS clinic on Wednesday after finally being diagnosed in November.
I feel like I have been waiting for this for so long that now that it’s here I feel totally overwhelmed and shit scared to be honest!
I am trying to make some notes to take with me so I remember what I want to know and want to make sure I have all the bases covered so hit me with you thoughts please

What do I need to ask?
WhT do I need to know before I go??
All advice and comment greatly appreciated.

Thanks xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

edgarleroy
1 year ago

Here’s some good info for everyone with MS, especially new patients:

Try not to let them put you off, get on treatment ASAP.

stumbler
1 year ago

@f10na , it’s a case of you have your diagnosis, now what?
What Disease Modifying Treatments (DMTs) are available?
When can this be started?
What can be done for existing symptoms?
What other complementary services, e.g. Physio, continence, etc., are available to you?
Who is the primary contact for support, with telephone numbers, e-mail address, etc.?
What future monitoring (MRI scan) is planned?

The list can obviously go on. And you will probably think of other questions after the meeting, so you need to know how to get these extra questions answered.

It is wise to read up on DMTs, so that you can play an active part in any discussions regarding treatment.

Hope this helps

As important as the appointment is just know that there are a ton of resources available on different sites and regardless of what your nero says you will want to do this research. So my advice would be to relax and try to get as much data on what they see about your condition so you can start researching some details yourself. You will likely be buliding a long term relationship with some nero, you might be wanting to ask yourself is this the type of place you would want to go long term? Are you going to get the kind of flexibility to choose what you think is best? There are a bunch of DMT’s all with tradeoffs. You will likely not make that decision on the spot, but will they work with you on what you want at a reasonable pace?

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.